The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
, "You are entitled to your own ridiculous opinion."
Cool.... I am justified or something like that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

OK, let me see if I have this correct...

Bry ordered an X7 and an X20 (both amber), then backed out of that transaction because it didn't get shipped the day he thought it would; immediately bought a Savoy and a Rider. DHart tried a bunch of guitars (pretty sure the X7 wasn't one that Kramster has) and bought a RainSong. Acousticado Tom has Savoy GAS, but enjoys playing his Emerald doubleneck. DHart didn't care for the Savoy. Earl ordered a custom X20 12-string and has been laying low. Barb likes her Savoy, several Riders, and also bought an X7. John likes his Cargo and X20.

Now, stay with me... Long Jon ordered an X7 after trading his X7 off in return for getting his bottom scraped (his boat bottom), then suffered from seller's remorse so bad, he turned around and ordered another X7. Ted bought an X20 and discovered it, just like a high-end Mercedes, has a built-in cup holder. Long Jon and Evan both reported "fake news." DHart has now bought an amber X7 that may or may not be the one Bry forfeited, but Bry is interested in DHart's opinion of that guitar when it arrives. Long Jon is advocating social unrest. Evan supports patience (and nylons). Moderator Kerbie, after calling for a time out on this sub-forum, said, "Hey, these carbon fiber guitars are cool," and became one of us (cf owner). Quiet guy CFfan slipped in a rockin' review.

Alistair is a time-traveler who has moved the timing of a harp-guitar gathering with the wave of a hand and has been encouraged to rent a convertible to drive up and down the California coast to let the wind blow through his hair.

I apparently angered hordes of Savoy buyers (even though Blackbird can only make one per week) by complimenting the shaded edge burst version (I called the stock model "bland by comparison" - not as a put-down). I upset even more people by stating I prefer the sound and feel of my X20 over my beloved 814ce.

GAS is rampant all over the CF sub-forum - you can smell it! And, I am quite content with the guitars I have.

While we are not a huge group here, we are a bit like the cast of a soap opera in that we all seem to interact, work through plots, drama, commercials, and the occasional guest star and/or cameo. Kramster may have or be the evil twin. Barb has the first Savoy... (insert dramatic music here)... no, Ted does. TommyCanAm doesn't ride a Can-Am, but he divides his time between Canada and America.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our CF sub-forum.

Yeah, I know: back to my corner.

Just so everyone knows I'm just having a little fun:
Old 10-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Jim, this is just freakin’ hilarious! You have us all nailed. I’ll leave it to someone wittier than me to expand on you in the script. Your GAS days aren’t over by a long-shot, bud!

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

That was the best laugh I have had in a while ! You deserve some kind of award for that Captain....but I'm not sure what kind. And how the heck did you manage to get all that correct, even the time line is pretty close. Great job.

It also exemplifies why I like hanging out here. Great people.....
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

If this was TGP you'd be banned for such an outburst. That was great.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Now that's funny!
Old 10-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Thank you for a great read! As a keen witty observer, and a good writer, you should be writing some books.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:08 PM

Captain Jim,
You are wonderful!
Barb
Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

Thank you for a great read! As a keen witty observer, and a good writer, you should be writing some books.
Well, Evan, here's a book I wrote...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27714

And, so there will be no question that this is NOT for self-promotion, here is a coupon code: YX23R

That code will allow you to download the book to your e-reader for free. No strings attached, all you have to do is join Smashwords (no big deal) and insert that coupon code at checkout. All e-reader formats. Free is a good price. So you don't think I am just a swell guy, that code is only good through tomorrow, 10/16/2017. After that, the book is back to $8.99 for the e-version (also available in paperback at Lulu for $11.99 plus shipping).

The book is also available at iBooks, Nook, and the usual e-reader sellers, except Amazon (seems that Smashwords, the distributor, and Amazon couldn't come to terms). But the FREE coupon is only good at Smashwords. And only through tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Jim

Of course, a nice review is always appreciated.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

Captain; Cool, I'm headed for Lulu.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

I did the deed, went for a soft-back, something I can hold. Publication is an interesting journey. I see that you are all over the place with your books, just as you are with your boat. Hopefully you will be able to make enough return on your time and energy to purchase yet another carbon fiber work of art.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Wow - it was MY thread that got closed down and inspired this thread (now run completely amok), I have owned an X20 (now owned by Transylvania), I have a custom X20 on order and bought a September Series X7 in a knee-jerk reaction to the painful wait for the X20, I've owned a Rainsong APLE and a Journey Overhead OF660 and I DIDN'T MAKE THE FINAL CUT OF CAPTAIN JIM'S FINAL SCREENPLAY?!?

Sigh... Now I know the pain of those working in Hollywood... Left on the cutting room floor!

I'm calling my agent!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I did the deed, went for a soft-back, something I can hold. Publication is an interesting journey. I see that you are all over the place with your books, just as you are with your boat. Hopefully you will be able to make enough return on your time and energy to purchase yet another carbon fiber work of art.
Thanks, Evan. When first published, the book did better than I expected. With all the different outlets and people who like cats, there is still interest. At this point, the quarterly royalties aren't going to fund a new guitar, but I am pretty content guitar-wise these days. Of course, I know better than to say, "This will be the last guitar..."

Sorry if this ran us off track about "Concerns...". I still write something most days - sometimes right here. After your nice comment, I just thought I'd share some of that writing - wasn't trying to promote the book. This discussion did spur me to make this same offer in other places on-line.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Wow - it was MY thread that got closed down and inspired this thread (now run completely amok), I have owned an X20 (now owned by Transylvania), I have a custom X20 on order and bought a September Series X7 in a knee-jerk reaction to the painful wait for the X20, I've owned a Rainsong APLE and a Journey Overhead OF660 and I DIDN'T MAKE THE FINAL CUT OF CAPTAIN JIM'S FINAL SCREENPLAY?!?

Sigh... Now I know the pain of those working in Hollywood... Left on the cutting room floor!

I'm calling my agent!
How could I have missed all that, Methos? That beautiful September Select Series X7 of yours is certainly worthy of its own chapter in the saga of the CF sub-forum! As I recall, that was the first one snatched up in that series, and the buyer must have gotten cold feet - I was delighted that one of our own got to claim that beauty!

No slight intended. Here's photo proof of the above...

Old 10-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I'm calling my agent!
Don't feel bad Methos. Even though I haven't touched nearly the amount of CF you have, I dressed the Captain all up nice, gave him a chuckle, and even promoted his favorite capo. I didn't make the cut either

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber