The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha Silent Guitar (Nylon)

Any thoughts? Anyone have one? Can the action be set down to a playable level? I'm especially interested in the wide neck version. Some of the You Tube vids make it sound really nice to my ear.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Past thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=394879
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

I used to own one and its the wide neck version. Yes the action can be set at a very comfortable level. I loved this guitar especially the reverb settings.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
...Can the action be set down to a playable level? ....

Does this imply that it's not normally playable or that all guitars must be set low to be playable. Are all guitars heretofore unplayable?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I posted some information on action as received and as set up in that thread. From there, personal taste enters in to the definition of playable. Nylon action will probably never be as low as steel string action. For good reason. I play mine.

hunter
Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 AM

How low is "playable?"

Mine is set up like a classical, about 3mm on the bass side, 2mm on the treble. Very playable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 AM

I have the steel string SLG200, and the action on it is great, but I obviously can’t speak specifically to the action or playability of the nylon version. But I will say that the preamp is fantastic and this guitar is a great tool. It is easily one of the most versatile guitars I have ever owned, being able to plug my iPad and headphones directly into it and practice with my sheet music and associated tracks and then bring it to my gig and plug it into the PA and get a great amplified sound. I love it and I wish they would make an electric version of these, with a THR amp built into it. That would be cool.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Guest4562

Not the nylon version but I did order the steel string version and returned it immediately. The upper half would not stay tight, loosened by the strap buttons even though I tightened them significantly. The upper half itself was very uncomfortable on which to rest ones arm. The B string predominated and the instrument was in serious need of a set up. Just didn't work for me.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Any thoughts? Anyone have one? Can the action be set down to a playable level? I'm especially interested in the wide neck version. Some of the You Tube vids make it sound really nice to my ear.
I've owned a few versions, most recently the SLG130NW. I keep forgetting how much I dislike the sound of piezo pickups. For me, the body frame is too narrow, and I just can't get used to the lack of body resonance that you get with a real acoustic instrument. And then there is that piezo . . .
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
I've owned a few versions, most recently the SLG130NW. I keep forgetting how much I dislike the sound of piezo pickups. For me, the body frame is too narrow, and I just can't get used to the lack of body resonance that you get with a real acoustic instrument. And then there is that piezo . . .
No help for the loss of body resonance or shape, but the preamp system on the 200 model is quite a bit more advanced and can be much less tilted toward piezo. If you can accept imaging that is.

hunter
Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 PM

I've had he SLG200N for about 3 months and i think it's great. No it doesn't feel or sound like a full body acoustic but it's still nice. i love it for late nite practice or noodling around while watching TV. I'll plug in my IPhone and play along with on the headphones. One of the areas that i especially like it for is live performance. I get alot of compliments on the sound which surprised me. Effects on this model are very good and the preamp is super quiet as well. Great investment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical