The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-25-2017, 03:22 PM

I've owned the Rainsong parlor and currently the x7. Both are very nice guitars, but the x7 seems like a better choice for travel to me, and it's more comfy for just playing on the couch too!

The Journey would probably be even better for convenience travelling, but I've never laid hands on one (yet).
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The Journey OF660 CF travel guitar is an excellent choice. They pop up here on occasion use and are scooped up almost instantly. I got mine for a really great price but still more than what you're looking to spend. I've been offered $900 for mine and I still won't sell it!
The fact that they are the third largest producers of CF guitars, and you still can't get one at a discount on the used market is quite telling. People like them, and they tend to hold on to them.

The OP seems to like the idea of the RS Parlor, a guitar that is hard to beat for playabilty and tone at any price, but if he was still adamant about the 500 to 600 price point, I would have suggested looking at the Journey OF series made of wood. The OF series compares tonally to the hugely popular GS Mini, but fits in to a carry on bag. As far as durability, with the neck off, not much can happen to them on an airplane.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 PM

BTW, I came across this thread I stated about the Rainsong Parlor from December 2012. Sadly many of the members who participated in that thread no longer chime in this sub section.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=276690
Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 AM

I've owned an X7 and maybe my expectations were too high at the time. I just bought a RainSong CH-PA and took it for its first flight last weekend. I did not immediately plan to install a pickup, but that happened this week. It is loud and has a pleasant tone which combined make it suitable to even be your main guitar. To that bar the X7 does not rise (for me). The X7 is a little smaller, 34" long compared to 37", but for those 3 inches you forgo a lot of guitar and it won't make or break placement in the overhead.

Plugged-in with a Mi-Si Trio (I value minimal stuff in my guitars and don't like CA glue on CF since future removal is iffy) I can boost the bass slightly and get a tone essentially the same as my H-DR with the same PUP. I am planning to gig with the RainSong Parlor as some of our venues (a duo placed where a single 4-top was removed) are pretty tight (that was the one positive thing about gigging with my now gone T5z). If anyone asks, I've got a T5z rant locked and loaded :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 AM

I watched ebay for almost a year before I ended up buying a used CA from GC online for a grand. I remember there was a CA Legacy that bid its way up to just over $900 a few months ago.

If money's tight how about somebody's $50 beater off Craigslist and just consider it disposable?

Jeff
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

So far my decision has been no decision. I'll probably bring my X20 on the first trip and see how it goes. I'm not convinced that a slightly smaller guitar will be much easier to schlep. The X20 in it's gig bag looks sorta small and I'd be fine with a gate check.
And i like the idea of hitting some Berkeley pawn shops and maybe keep a beater at my son apt.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Martin 2008 000-18 Golden Era
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

Steve;

I keep an inexpensive wooden instrument with my daughter in Tacoma. I used to haul instruments around but as I've gotten older and air travel has gotten harder I try to travel as light as possible.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
So far my decision has been no decision. I'll probably bring my X20 on the first trip and see how it goes. I'm not convinced that a slightly smaller guitar will be much easier to schlep. The X20 in it's gig bag looks sorta small and I'd be fine with a gate check.
And i like the idea of hitting some Berkeley pawn shops and maybe keep a beater at my son apt.
Discussions on "travel" guitars are great fun to read, but rarely helpful because everyone has different criteria for just what a travel guitar should be.

Lightweight? Rugged? Weatherproof? Airline safe? Backpackable?

On my boat I didn't care about weight, but size and resistance to humidity mattered. When I went backpacking I needed really lightweight and as small as possible (no carbon fiber back then). When I went car camping I just took a beater. For airline travel, I would probably just get a really good travel case today, but back in the 70s I just turned my D28 over to the airlines in its regular case.

But I would be amazed if anyone agreed with my choices. Which is why we have so many of these interesting discussions.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Discussions on "travel" guitars are great fun to read, but rarely helpful because everyone has different criteria for just what a travel guitar should be.

On my boat I didn't care about weight, but size and resistance to humidity mattered. When I went backpacking I needed really lightweight and as small as possible (no carbon fiber back then). When I went car camping I just took a beater. For airline travel, I would probably just get a really good travel case today, but back in the 70s I just turned my D28 over to the airlines in its regular case.

But I would be amazed if anyone agreed with my choices. Which is why we have so many of these interesting discussions.
There's something about having an instrument available that I find comforting. Even if I don't play it, it's there. I've been playing on and (mostly) off - years. A "couch" player, and I started with serious lessons about 6 months ago (thank you Mark Hanson).

I need portability first so I can throw it in an overhead bin. I need low action (similar to my guitars at home) and a 1.75" width at the nut (like home). So similar neck to my Emerald X20. I'd like it to be comfortable to play without a strap sitting down.

I had a Martin Backpacker when I traveled for my job. I hated it! I don't want that again; cramped and awkward.

But for me, portability, and comfort are most important.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post

Good point. What I love about my Journey OF660 is that it literally checks off ALL of these boxes. Probably why I keep it around!!

It's the Swiss Army Knife version of travel guitars...
Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Rainsong Parlor (NP12) it is...

Made a decision to buy a Rainsong Nylon Parlor. The heck with the budget. Budgets are only guidelines; I decided that 3x my budget is better than 5x.
It's on it's way to me, thank you Ted (and Helene). Will be here Friday and I'm very excited!

I'll take it when I go cross country to visit my son next week. It looks like a kid's guitar! The personal pizza of guitars! I think the total weight of the guitar and the soft case I bought for it is under 7lbs. Looks like no problem for an overhead compartment.

I'm also looking forward to playing a nylon 12 fret guitar with the same nut width as my other guitars. I have high expectations, hope it sounds as cool as it looks. I could not find at any retailer so this is a leap of faith based upon every single thing I could read up on this guitar.

Thanks group,

Steve_arino
Emerald Opus X20
Martin OM-28E
Soon to be Rainsong NP12
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 AM

Congratulations! I haven't tried the nylon version (yet), but I have had my hands on a RS parlor and it's an awesome guitar. Feels a bit smaller than my Lucky though I think the scale is slightly longer. I am looking forward to your review and I wish you many years of travel and play with your new guitar.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Guest 928

S-arino;

The RS Parlor nylon string is an incredible guitar. Rodgers brought the instrument to my attention (on this forum) and MacNichol gave me a good deal and I've had no regrets. The projection and tonal qualities are great, the guitar is comfortable to hold and I suspect you will find it to be a keeper.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Was going to mention Klos for an inexpensive travel guitar, but noticed you've already found a guitar.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 09-28-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
S-arino;

The RS Parlor nylon string is an incredible guitar. Rodgers brought the instrument to my attention (on this forum) and MacNichol gave me a good deal and I've had no regrets. The projection and tonal qualities are great, the guitar is comfortable to hold and I suspect you will find it to be a keeper.
Just got home from visiting my son in Berkeley. His is an unbelievably small place, I don't think his living area is more than 10 x 11. Slept there for a few nights before moving to an airbnb; he slept on an airbed and I used his double bed (a great kid :-)).

I mention this because there is no way in hell (can I say hell?) that between completely booked flights and his tiny apartment that I could or should have traveled with a full size guitar and I'm glad I didn't. Overhead space on my outbound flight was fine but coming back to FL was interesting to say the least; I have a Boulder soft case for the Parlor and had to stuff other passengers soft bags in front of and under the case. Worked out fine in the end. The United flight attendants on the way out were a pleasure, the Jetblue FA's on the way back were unhelpful; understandable I guess since our flight was 4 hours late to leave SFO due to the wildfires in Northern CA.

This NP12 is a beautiful guitar to play. I had to shave the saddle quite a bit when I got it but I expected that; I'm a beginner / intermediate player with old arms and I like low action. It is a joy to play. I feel "connected" to it, nice vibration through the guitar. Light as a feather, comfortable to hold, and the built in tuner is extremely useful on a trip. Lush, intimate sound with the nylon strings. The Rainsong is not one piece like the X20, and I'm not sure how the neck is connected to the body but structurally it seems as durable. I "feel" the labor that went into the Rainsong.

I'm glad I got this baby, thanks Ted and Helene. It's a nice complement to my other guitars and a great traveling companion.

Steve_arino
Emerald X 20 Opus
Rainsong NP12
Martin OM-28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber