The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

View Poll Results: Which build should I post here?
Lutz spruce/Osage orange Gibson AJ inspired 11 44.00%
Cedar/Mahogany 3/4 size Stella (x-braced) 7 28.00%
Sitka/QS White oak Harmony GC (ladder braced) 5 20.00%
None. We don't like your builds. 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM

The oak will be a fun one.

Most people probably don't have a picture in their head of the old 1940's "Figure 8" Harmony GC pattern....

But... You probably are familiar with the Taylor GC... The 314, 514, 714... This Taylor pattern is nearly identical to the old early 1940's Harmony Figure 8 GC...

As an aside - quite a few Taylor patterns are very similar to the old Harmony brand patterns.... The Baby Taylor sure looks a whole lot like a modernized Stella Concert size..
Old 10-20-2017, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

This is my first solid ring rosette like this. It went well. I have been through several router bases. Finally settled on Stew Mac's adjustable circle cutting base modified for my laminate trimmer. I really like the adjustability and stability of that router base...

I inlaid the triangle of Granadillo into it. I really hoped for more contrast - but under a wash of finish you hardly notice it is even there. Should have used EIR or some flavor of Ebony...

That particular piece of sycamore is very unstable. It seems to shift and bow all over the place. I tried to use it for a guitar back - complete failure.. Small inlay wood is probably the best use for the piece I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Nice! I love the lacewood rosette, that's not easy to inlay perfectly without binding, looks real clean, nice job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair