The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-07-2017, 06:25 AM

Default removing pickguards from a vintage Gibson

given that this is a natural top, how much trouble would it be to remove these huge pickguards? They are not the super thick ones Gibson used in the 60s.

The one on the left was added later, poorly done. Not an even cut of the template. Mind you I don't care if there is a little superficial damage to the top if this is done or if there are tan lines.

Last edited by elasticman; 10-07-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 AM

Beware, tan / uv lines will likely be visible.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-25-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Obviously an owner can do anything they like. Given that this would involve around half of the top, I wouldn't on this guitar. How much trouble would vary between guitars. If you carefully heat and carefully (meaning take your time as it's usually not a quick procedure) remove them, there should be no damage. You could have more of a chore cleaning off the adhesive after the pick-guard removal. I use floss after carefully heating the guards.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Another thing worth thinking about is what type of damage could those guards be covering up?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Another thing worth thinking about is what type of damage could those guards be covering up?
that's exactly what my luthier said to me...
Old 10-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Default reversible inspection

Seems to me as if OP or his luthier could remove the pick guards and see what's there. That sounds harmless enough to me. Worst to happen is to put them back on, or new ones cut to that miserable pattern. Best to happen is the guitar rejoins the world of nice vintage instruments with a bit of a suntan and some history. And a huge increase in value, should that have any importance.

But these are my opinions and the owner is entitled to do as he wishes with his own property. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that these two pick guards are so plug-ugly that it's worth the trouble of removing them to see what can be done to return the guitar to a more 'normal' state.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Worst to happen is to put them back on, or new ones cut to that miserable pattern.
Actually just for note, the worst thing that can happen is the top can tear out.

If the top tears out, then you may be up for a new top, have seen guitars come into my workshop that are typically western red cedar and the tops have been shredded from the removal of a pickguard

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-10-2017, 06:23 AM

I would be careful with this one... Just a look at the bridge points me at the 1940's..

Any chance a bright light shows you an idea of what lies beneath.

Given it's age and such... Have a good luthier do this work.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
I would be careful with this one... Just a look at the bridge points me at the 1940's..

Any chance a bright light shows you an idea of what lies beneath.

Given it's age and such... Have a good luthier do this work.
it's a '55.

The seller tells me there are no cracks beneath, just one small one near the pickguard. Reputable seller. I am on the fence about getting this one or a much cleaner (but more expensive) '56.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair