The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson B-25

I wasn’t looking to add a new guitar to my collection, but came across this neat 1967 Gibson B-25 at a great price. I like smaller bodied guitars and enjoyed the way it sounded so thought I would take a chance on an older guitar.

It definitely has its fair share of wear, but still sounds pretty nice, although it’s a bit quiet which I’m guessing has a bit to do with the bridge/saddle. It’s my understanding that most of these guitars had plastic bridges back in the day, but this one appears to be a wooden original bridge. Not sure what the saddle is made of, though I read it could be porcelain. I’ll likely take it to a local luthier to see what can be done, I’d like to get a bone saddle put in to replace whatever is currently in there.

Any string recommendations for these? I put some D’Addario EJ16’s on it to replace the super old strings that were on it and it livened it up a bit. Thinking of trying some Martin Retro’s neck. Any other advice for this kind of guitar?

Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 AM

If u are going to keep the guitar and mess with bridge just replace the whole adj. it’s worth it.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 AM

I'd keep it original and enjoy it as-is.

I had one a few years ago and had no trouble selling it when the time came. I bought it from the original owner and knew it would be moving along at some point and being in original condition was a positive.

Changing the bridge isn't going to make a dramatic difference anyway, IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I'd keep it original and enjoy it as-is.

I had one a few years ago and had no trouble selling it when the time came. I bought it from the original owner and knew it would be moving along at some point and being in original condition was a positive.

Changing the bridge isn't going to make a dramatic difference anyway, IMO.

Thats funny, changing the bridge on a B25,15, LG0 is the first thing I would do. These are really spectacular guitars by comparison to many of the Gibson counterparts from that era.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Pagedr, Gibson made adjustable bridge acoustic guitars with ceramic and with rosewood saddles. Yours is rosewood. The ceramic saddles have a sound of their own, but all of the adjustable saddle models have quite a bit of metal in them.

Goodallboy made a good point that for many serious Gibson collectors, all-original condition is a draw. But having the metal pulled out of there and converting the bridge to a nonadjustable bone saddle will definitely improve the tone of the guitar. I’ve had the opportunity to make several before and after comparisons of Gibson guitars that have been converted, and it’s been a major musical improvement every time.

So it’s your call. If you want to keep the adjustable feature for now, but still want to improve the sound, you can check around to see whether you can find a ceramic saddle. Guitar repair techs who have done these conversions might have leftover ceramic saddles in their parts boxes, and it shouldn’t cost very much to get one.

The ceramic saddles are generally considered to have a better sound than the rosewood saddle you have.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 AM

Very cool little guitar. Congrats.

What does the "B" designation stand for?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Love those B25's!! Beautiful guitar that I wouldn't think twice about changing out the saddle. Have fun with it!
scott
Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Congrat's on your B25.

They're cute as a bug, and everyone (non-players too) seem to really be drawn to them. I had one, and it was centered out, by guests, significantly more often than its mates.

+1 bridge imo has got to go (and the original, in a ziploc, in the case's strap compartment)
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi Pagedr,
Congrats. That guitar brings back memories; my best friend in Jr High had a B 25N. It was the first Gibson I ever played, and compared to my Kay flattop, it sounded magical.

A lot of fine music was played on B 25s. Nice fingerpickers. I associate them with college coffee houses, dorm get togethers, picnics in the park . . . .

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post

I think it's just the "B series" of guitars Gibson produced from '61 to '79 (limited reissues in '91/'92). It's not for 'burst', and the natural versions had an "N". (B-25-N-3/4)
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
I think it's just the "B series" of guitars Gibson produced from '61 to '79 (limited reissues in '91/'92). It's not for 'burst', and the natural versions had an "N". (B-25-N-3/4)
It's part of the mystery that is Gibson. I think it's just a letter. Others see it as B for "budget" as these were visioned as student guitars.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all, appreciate the responses!

Anyone have an idea of what replacing the bridge/saddle would cost? I'm leaning toward replacing it, I think the potential sound improvement opportunity outweighs keeping everything original.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM

I have an LG2 which I love. Personally I wouldn't hesitate changing the saddle(I did) to improve sound. My bridge also exploded once, and my repair guy made a new one, perfect copy, so someone should be able to do a nice job for you. Yes, they aren't as loud as other guitars, even ones that size, but thats part of the appeal. Finger style blues, any kind of percussive attack music sound great with their midrange focus. But i also think mine sounds great strummed and single note leads ring out. Mess around with saddle and strings, I bet you have a winner.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 10-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Thanks all, appreciate the responses!

Anyone have an idea of what replacing the bridge/saddle would cost? I'm leaning toward replacing it, I think the potential sound improvement opportunity outweighs keeping everything original.
I can only say, it doubled the price of my '65 B-25 33 years ago. With the plate replaced too, and with included set up, and lite fret dress, strings & tax $400 cdn.. Not much help -- sorry.

It does raise the question, 'Should one get the plate replaced too?'

(If you think you're going to really play your B-25 a lot, I would replace both. If it's in frequent rotation -- it's a tough call -- maybe just the bridge/saddle. If it's just another guitar -- I would just enjoy the crap out of it, and just use a 'brighter' set of strings. Jmo no expert.)

So it's a collector/player question for me. And you don't need to make a quick decision.

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion