The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM

2 weeks ago we received a calligraphy set that we didn't order, and an order that we made from a different company was overdue. I contacted the company that was overdue and they said a package had been returned without a shipping label. Evidently, in one of the sorting facilities the calligraphy set had scraped the label off my package. Everything worked out fine, we sent the calligraphy set on it's way to it's rightful owner and the other company resent my package.

I hadn't ever seen that before. As previously suggested writing the address directly on the package would have prevented it.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM

I got a call from UPS lost and found(!!!) today. The rep said the guitar had been picked up by their driver from the UPS Store without a label on the box or the label had fallen off. So the box was sent to their lost and found depot. Thankfully my invoice from Ted was still in the case and the UPS rep found my contact info on it. They will be sending it next day air to McPherson. Man, this has been stressful and I am much less inclined to ship a guitar with UPS today than I was two weeks ago. And most of all, I should have put that label on the box myself and never trusted the UPS Store staff. I learned a valuable lesson for sure.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Congrats on your guitar being found!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Good to hear this was resolved, Matt. I think the lesson learned here is that regardless which shipper you use, unless you are paying for them to pack the guitar for you, you should always seal the box, and attach all labels yourself before handing the package over to the clerk.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Good to hear this was resolved, Matt. I think the lesson learned here is that regardless which shipper you use, unless you are paying for them to pack the guitar for you, you should always seal the box, and attach all labels yourself before handing the package over to the clerk.
Completely agree

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Glad to hear that the situation is correcting itself, Matt. To me, the only thing more stressful than shipping guitars is taking them on airplanes. Both scenarios are fraught with danger.

In the past, we had a home street address of 3570. We kept getting deliveries of packages addressed to 3520, about six houses down the street. The bottom of the handwritten "2" was often on the line of the address label, so the postal carriers got confused in their haste. After getting tired of carrying the items down the street several times a year, I finally wrote back to the original sender thanking them for the nice gift (and pointing out that I thought they *probably* meant 3520, but things keep coming addressed to our house at 3570, so the packages must be "for us"). Funny, but that stopped the problem, and we got no more unsolicited Christmas gifts.

And yes, we did pass along everything that came incorrectly to our house. I have no desire to mess with karma.....
Old 12-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Glad to get the "Found!" news!! This situation made my heart sink - I can only guess how the OP felt.

To this point, I have never had an issue with shipping/receiving guitars. That doesn't make the angst any less, though.

We live on an island where the Post Office doesn't recognize the addresses on our private streets. Each residence has a Lot Number that UPS and FedEx will deliver to. We have private mail boxes in the owners area; now, get this: the mail box numbers DO NOT match the lot numbers. So, if you are receiving something USPS, you have one address, Fed Ex and UPS is another address. If you put a 4 line address when ordering something, you never know if the shipper will drop the 2nd address line (really, this happens all the time here). I have had stuff go to the lot number that is my private mail box number, and whoever owns that place is rarely there. Last year at Christmas, my daughter and I retrieved two boxes from that other person's steps that got left there (when I saw that the order was "delivered")... I felt like I was doing something illegal. Fed Ex is absolutely the worst with this. The Post Office puts stuff in the wrong private mail boxes all the time.

A couple weeks ago, the Fed Ex driver returned a package to their hub because he "could not find our house." They are numbered sequentially. The numbers are marked on our driveways. When I called Fed Ex, the person who took my call said (this is a quote): "That driver is a moron. I used to deliver to your island - each place is numbered. In order. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience."

Sounds like UPS stepped up to take care of the OP. Kudos to them, a big ol' raspberry to the UPS Store. And, a lesson learned and shared.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber