The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Hi, Brand new to the carbon fiber sub forum so I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been asked over and over.

I'm looking for an inexpensive CF guitar. Like in the $600 range. I have no idea if something like this exists but if it does, I'm all ears. I don't mind buying used or "scratch and dent" or whatever.

I build wood guitars and am in no need for another acoustic but we heat with a wood stove and starting very soon, the guitars have to live in their cases with humidifiers for a few months. This isn't the end of the world and I take them out to play daily but I LOVE having a guitar next to the couch to pick up quickly in the morning or evening. Since the humidity gets quite low, I just can't leave one out.

Ideally I would like a 12 fret parlor sized guitar, full scale with a sound hole in the center. I don't need electronics. I am fine with 14 fret and also fine if it's a little smaller or bigger. I'm fine with various nut widths and neck shapes. I am not looking for a travel guitar. Does anything like this exist or am I out of luck.

Also, I do understand that you get what you pay for etc... If I had more money to spend, I would. I'm not looking for the most amazing guitar in the world, just something I can pick on the couch for a few months in the winter.

Thanks!
There is a Used Emerald Artisan X5 on AFG for sale.
$800.00 last time I looked.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=489587
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 AM

That guitar 121 points out sounds like a pretty decent deal
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Guest 928

121;

Good call! This is a perfect instrument for keeping around in rough environments. Even better, it's a sweet sounding, good looking guitar.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM

thanks for the heads up but I don't think I can hang with that soundhole. I'd need it to have a standard one. I'm old fashioned like that.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks for the heads up but I don't think I can hang with that soundhole. I'd need it to have a standard one. I'm old fashioned like that.
I totally get that. Up until about 3 years ago, I felt exactly the same way about an offset soundhole. Of course, I had never tried one. The first small guitar with an offset soundhole I tried (my X7) completely changed my understanding of why that offset soundhole makes sense: it projects more sound to the player, and you aren't losing that real estate in the sweet spot in the middle of the soundboard (top). I've been told that it helps the bass response, especially in a smaller guitar.

The next guitar I bought (X20) also has an offset soundhole. I get it. I really notice the difference when I pick up one of my "old fashioned" guitars with a center soundhole.

When I was a young kid, I used to think girls were yucky. We learn, we grow... sometimes, we old dogs can learn new tricks.

Good luck with the search.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I feel the same way and at 63, I'm not apt to change my opinion. I'm sure that sound wise it doesn't make a difference but I just wouldn't want to own one. I'll keep my Rainsong.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I totally get that. Up until about 3 years ago, I felt exactly the same way about an offset sound hole. Of course, I had never tried one. The first small guitar with an offset sound hole I tried (my X7) completely changed my understanding of why that offset sound hole makes sense: it projects more sound to the player, and you aren't losing that real estate in the sweet spot in the middle of the soundboard (top). I've been told that it helps the bass response, especially in a smaller guitar.

The next guitar I bought (X20) also has an offset soundhole. I get it. I really notice the difference when I pick up one of my "old fashioned" guitars with a center soundhole.

When I was a young kid, I used to think girls were yucky. We learn, we grow... sometimes, we old dogs can learn new tricks.

Good luck with the search.
I agree with you Captain Jim.

Got my first acoustic guitar in the early 60's.
Until recently, center sound hole acoustic guitars is what I played.
Tried my first offset sound hole (OsSH) acoustic guitar about a year ago and it changed my mind about OsSH acoustic guitars.
As the player, I prefer the OsSH and the pleasant experience of sound being directed towards me.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 12-16-2017 at 01:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber