The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Keep an eye on resale value. There's a high probability that you will want to upgrade in a year or two. Go with name brands and go with a good used guitar.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm going to go against the prevailing trend here and advise you, as a relative newcomer, to buy a brand-new instrument with a factory warranty. IME it takes years to learn the ins-and-outs of properly assessing a used guitar for both existing and potential problems, either/both of which essentially flush your "bargain" right down the can when you need to shell out major bucks to correct issues that would most likely be covered under warranty; that said, while tone is a highly subjective matter (I own both Martins and Taylors, among which are a D-15S - the 12-fret version of the D-15 - and a 320e Baritone, so I'm on board with two of your selections) - customer service is not and, having filed warranty claims with both companies I'd give the clear edge to Taylor - far and away the best in the industry in terms of both service and attitude based on my experience. Whether or not this is a top priority is strictly up to you, but inasmuch as either the D-15 or the 320e can be lifetime instruments it's unquestionably something to consider if you're buying for the long haul...
Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm going to go against the prevailing trend here and advise you, as a relative newcomer, to buy a brand-new instrument with a factory warranty. IME it takes years to learn the ins-and-outs of properly assessing a used guitar for both existing and potential problems, either/both of which essentially flush your "bargain" right down the can when you need to shell out major bucks to correct issues that would most likely be covered under warranty; that said, while tone is a highly subjective matter (I own both Martins and Taylors, among which are a D-15S - the 12-fret version of the D-15 - and a 320e Baritone, so I'm on board with two of your selections) - customer service is not and, having filed warranty claims with both companies I'd give the clear edge to Taylor - far and away the best in the industry in terms of both service and attitude based on my experience. Whether or not this is a top priority is strictly up to you, but inasmuch as either the D-15 or the 320e can be lifetime instruments it's unquestionably something to consider if you're buying for the long haul...
I suppose that's wise. OTOH I've only ever needed warranty repairs (or any kind of repairs) once in 22 years. That one repair was a defective Grover Rotomatic, which would have cost under $20 to buy and replace myself. I've saved enough money buying used (and bypassing new warranties) to pay for essentially any repairs on a couple of guitars, or maybe even buy a whole new guitar, if not two.

So as usual it's a matter of one's comfort level with uncertainty.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerpig View Post
Hey,

I started playing acoustic guitar a year ago when I bought a $160 Oscar Schmidt OG2SM. Turns out, I really enjoy playing guitar and want to buy something higher quality that I can enjoy playing for years to come.

I've found three guitars that I really like the looks of. The Martin drs1, the Martin d-15, and the Taylor 320e-seb. The drs1 is about $650, d-15 is about $1400, and the 320e-seb is about $1300. Aesthetically, my favorite is the Taylor, but I've heard a lot about Martin having superior sound. Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $1000, which makes me gravitate towards the drs1.

What are your opinions? Is the drs1 good enough to last for years to come, or would it be worth saving up more money to buy something more expensive?
Hi, I'll focus on two of the guitars on your list first. The Martin DRS1 and D-15 and very similar guitars. Both made of all solid woods, the DRS1 is a value because of several corners Martin has cut. To name a few differences from the specs: The DRS1's fretboard and saddle is made of Richlite. The D-15s is Indian Rosewood. The D15 has a Dovetail neck joint the DRS1 has a Mortise & Tenon (assumed non-Dove tail) Neck Joint. The nut and saddle on the D15 are real bone. The top bracing in the DRS1 is longer (1/4" vs 3/16" on the D-15). The DRS1 has a pickup but it's a Fishman Sonitone which is a budget pickup system D-15 comes with no pickup.. DRS1 is made in Mexico, D-15 is Martin's USA factory.

Is the DRS1 good enough to last for years to come. Yes. Is the D-15 a better guitar based on materials and Martin traditional design, Yes. Buy whichever feels good to you.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
The D15 has a Dovetail neck joint the DRS1 has a Mortise & Tenon (assumed non-Dove tail) Neck Joint.
That is a manufacturing cost-saving measure, but assuming both joints are done well (which Martin would), there's no tonal or structural difference.

Quote:
The top bracing in the DRS1 is longer (1/4" vs 3/16" on the D-15).
That would have to be wider, not longer.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am a used guitar player myself. I do own a Martin and love it. I have a DR-1. They don't make them anymore.

My advice, buy a solid top used guitar that you like the sound and feel of.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
...I've only ever needed warranty repairs (or any kind of repairs) once in 22 years. That one repair was a defective Grover Rotomatic, which would have cost under $20 to buy and replace myself. I've saved enough money buying used (and bypassing new warranties) to pay for essentially any repairs on a couple of guitars, or maybe even buy a whole new guitar, if not two.

So as usual it's a matter of one's comfort level with uncertainty.
My warranty repairs over the last 50 years:
  • Gretsch
    defective pickup/electronics
  • Ovation
    loose top braces
    defective pickup
  • Gibson
    defective tuner
  • Martin
    neck twist
    complete body refinish
    replacement D-15S guitar (don't ask )
  • Taylor
    neck reset
    two replacement solidbody bridges
- and the money saved did in fact go toward new equipment; IME unless it's either a vintage/collector piece or so stupid-cheap that it's readily expendable/replaceable, I'd rather have the security of a written manufacturer's warranty when it comes to musical gear - and don't even get me started on cars...

Chacun a son gout...
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My warranty repairs over the last 50 years:
  • Gretsch
    defective pickup/electronics
  • Ovation
    loose top braces
    defective pickup
  • Gibson
    defective tuner
  • Martin
    neck twist
    complete body refinish
    replacement D-15S guitar (don't ask )
  • Taylor
    neck reset
    two replacement solidbody bridges
- and the money saved did in fact go toward new equipment; IME unless it's either a vintage/collector piece or so stupid-cheap that it's readily expendable/replaceable, I'd rather have the security of a written manufacturer's warranty when it comes to musical gear - and don't even get me started on cars...

Chacun a son gout...
Yikes, that's quite a bit of hassle

I totally agree re. cars. My current and previous cars are "certified pre-owned" (and Japanese, and highly rated for reliability), and I expect that will be true of all my future cars as well (if I ever buy another). My first three were such traumatic pieces of junk I'll never ever not buy a warranty on a car.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerpig View Post
Hey,

I started playing acoustic guitar a year ago when I bought a $160 Oscar Schmidt OG2SM. Turns out, I really enjoy playing guitar and want to buy something higher quality that I can enjoy playing for years to come.

I've found three guitars that I really like the looks of. The Martin drs1, the Martin d-15, and the Taylor 320e-seb. The drs1 is about $650, d-15 is about $1400, and the 320e-seb is about $1300. Aesthetically, my favorite is the Taylor, but I've heard a lot about Martin having superior sound. Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $1000, which makes me gravitate towards the drs1.

What are your opinions? Is the drs1 good enough to last for years to come, or would it be worth saving up more money to buy something more expensive?
Comsider buying used. That way, if you decide to sell to get an even higher quality instrument you should get most if not all of your money back.

Of course, buying used in a smart way requires an instrument in very good shape (or better) at a fair price. You might find someone with decades of experience to take along or help chose a used guitar.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Hi, I'll focus on two of the guitars on your list first. The Martin DRS1 and D-15 and very similar guitars. Both made of all solid woods, the DRS1 is a value because of several corners Martin has cut. To name a few differences from the specs: The DRS1's fretboard and saddle is made of Richlite. The D-15s is Indian Rosewood. The D15 has a Dovetail neck joint the DRS1 has a Mortise & Tenon (assumed non-Dove tail) Neck Joint. The nut and saddle on the D15 are real bone. The top bracing in the DRS1 is longer (1/4" vs 3/16" on the D-15). The DRS1 has a pickup but it's a Fishman Sonitone which is a budget pickup system D-15 comes with no pickup.. DRS1 is made in Mexico, D-15 is Martin's USA factory.

Is the DRS1 good enough to last for years to come. Yes. Is the D-15 a better guitar based on materials and Martin traditional design, Yes. Buy whichever feels good to you.

You are in an exciting time as a guitar player. I would say open up your eyes and ears. I started on a Martin DX1 Dread, then upped to a MMV, and now am buying a Furch GA size guitar which should be for the rest of my life.

As far as the poster said above, I don't think many of those things are "downgrades". The Dovetail is over hyped, why do amazing guitar manufacturers use bolt on? Also, bone is very sporadic. As an organic material it can sound amazing or blase, at least with plastic or TUSQ, you know it will be a continual quality sound regardless of which piece you get.

As far as guitars to look at, the Martin MMV from Guitar Center used is an incredible value. Also, look on the classifieds on here, amazing deals.

(For instance this one: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=435648).

However, the best I can tell you as a fellow strummer is to play all the guitars you can get your hands on, and even play ones that are "out" of your price range, It would be better to save for longer to get a great guitar, than get a decent guitar for the money. Let us know what you decide on!!!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM

When I decided to go up from a beater guitar, I bought one that was used but in immaculate condition, at a fair price, and I love it. But I will join in with the guys who say buy new, unless you have someone experienced who can check out the guitars for you. Beginners, and probably many intermediate players as well, may not notice issues with a used guitar.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 PM

I bought a drs1 about six years ago. It's my main guitar. I've been through multiple other (non guitar) instruments in that period and have had - and still have- no desire to replace the drs1. Can't speak to the others you're thinking of.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

A player that just started a year ago though is not going to know to look and see how much saddle is showing on a used guitar - or to check if the bridge is lifting.

Buy new, get it set up. Taylor, Martin, whatever. Get an all solid wood guitar, get a sound hole humidifier for it. Read up on the care of an all solid guitar too. There's more to guitar playing then just playing. Come here and ask all the questions you need to. Tons of great folks to help you along.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Buy the guitar that sounds and plays best to you
That's the opinion I agree with.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

[QUOTE=Deerpig;5286888]Hey,

What are your opinions? Is the drs1 good enough to last for years to come, or would it be worth saving up more money to buy something more expensive?[/QUOTE

Following the conventional wisdom here, you'll need to spend far more $$$ than you'd planned, or possibly can afford, to get an AGF approved satisfactory grade of "keeper" guitar - At least, most of the time...

What I'd suggest is a Taylor mini GS in mahogany. They have a decent tone, are easy to carry around for added practice, and highly respected by most pickers you'll run into. They are also easy to sell without taking a real beating, should (when) you decide to upgrade to a better box...

Unless you're buying on the used market, (Which can be very unforgiving to newbies!) it's extremely hard to find a lifetime guitar for less than two grand. Save! Save! Save!, on your guitar fund! But, be sure to enjoy the journey of learning to be a knowledgeable picker while doing so..... Best of luck!

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
320e-seb, d-15m, drs1, martin, taylor