The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Hmm, not quite sure what your looking for. As drplayer mentioned, the L body guitars (L-OO, L-1, L-2, Nick Lucas, etc.) are not the same body shape and don't have the same sound as the LGs (LG-1 etc.).
Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM

Great recommendations guys. I know that most of these guitars are not LG inspired guitars. Like what's already been said, I haven't really found a reproduction of an LG that has a 1 3/4 in nut width. The L00 type body is my next post preferred.

So the RNJ16 was sold before I could get to it. I really liked that one because it had a sunburst finish and simple fretboard. I just waited too long. I'm not a terribly huge fan of the RNJ17 and RNJ26 because of the fretboard inlays. Call me vain, but I can't help it lol. I just really dig simplistic looks and tone.

The Morgan Monroe has been on my radar for awhile. I just haven't heard a lot about it and things I have heard haven't been entirely favorable.

It looks like it's down to the Morgan Monroe or LO 16.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlor

I recommend saving up a couple more $100 and getting the Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlor. I have one and, while it may be comparing apples and oranges, I prefer playing it to my Gibson J-45. It's all solid wood, sitka top w/ 'hog b/s. The sound is surprisingly very balanced, the bass is better than one would expect, the clarity of the notes is very good. It's a fine guitar IMO.

Here's a nice review from Premier Guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ne64r6zxA

I haven't tried the Seagull Grand Sunburst parlor, with cherry laminate b/s, but I bet it's not bad either. The solid 'hog b/s seems to make a difference, though, which is why I went with S&P.

If you really want to go inexpensive, then you might want to try the Art & Lutherie Ami. Very good tone/intonation up the neck — fine fit and finish — Lee Ranaldo of the now-disbanded Sonic Youth group uses an Ami for writing songs. Solid cedar top and cherry lam b/s. The tone is better than it should be for a guitar at that price range. Mine is my campfire guitar.

These guitar brands are all part of the Godin family of acoustics. They are made in Canada by craftsmen/craftswomen. And, no, I do not work for Godin or make any money for recommending its acoustics. I live in the USA. I just like 'em. Great sound for the money IMO.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 PM

Another yes for the Loar LO-16. I have the natural model rather than the black. I've been playing it for a couple of years and find it responsive and easy to play in addition to sounding good (at least to my ears).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lo 16, parlor guitar, recording king, rnj 16, the loar