The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Default need tuner screw for 1967 Guild mark II classical guitar

I just got a 1967 Guild mark II classical guitar. As I was taking off the strings one of the gears fell off because the screw is missing (see pic). I have the gear but need a replacement screw. It seems the threads are not standard so I have not been able to find a screw that will work. Any one know how I can find one? I want to keep the original tuners.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM

Did you look with extra care for the original?

Hard to see how you could tune that string without the screw holding the gear, so it may not be that far away.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 PM

Default Is that a rhetorical question?

The cylinder that the string winds around has an end with two flat sides that fits inside the gear. With the string tight everything was sitting in place. Once I started unwinding the tuner the cylinder backed its way out and the gear fell off at my feet. I looked with extra care. Thanks for asking.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
It seems the threads are not standard
The tuners are original Waverly, which were used on many US guitar brands up until the late-1960's. Gretsch, Martin, Kay and Harmony, just to name a few. The thread size is 4-36, which is seldom used these days. Repairmen often have junk tuners laying around that are a source for the screws, gears and string posts.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem finding a screw for my tuner. It was a scavenger hunt because it was an odd size.

You should remove one of the other screws and take photos and measurements. Take one screw to a hardware store and size it up (being careful some smaller sizes sort of "overlap" between metric and SAE.

You can certainly find the right threads and length, eventually. The head style and finish may be hard to match up. So, once you have the size identified, you might want to buy replacements for all six so they match.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Where are you located? If you want to send me one I'll measure it up for you and mail it back.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 AM

John, thanks for the thread size and models that used them, that is helpful! I will seek out some local repair shops in hopes of finding one.

Fazool, thanks for the recommendations. I went to the local ACE Hardware, thought I found a replacement but the threads were very close but not the same.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdollar View Post
John, thanks for the thread size and models that used them, that is helpful! I will seek out some local repair shops in hopes of finding one.

Fazool, thanks for the recommendations. I went to the local ACE Hardware, thought I found a replacement but the threads were very close but not the same.
elderly has 4-36's:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/BPT436.htm

not black, not slot head, head dia. maybe smaller, and maybe too long, but you could trim one down and make it work until you can get better ones.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 AM

Might work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-36-x-3-16-...item4d3286a062
Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up a 1969 Mark I in August. Fun little guitar and it's nice to change things up. One other recommendation would be to reach out to Steve Kovacik. he's a luthier who specializes in old Martins and has a hefty collection of vintage tuners for sale on his site. He might be able to hook you up with the missing part or a lead on where to find one.

http://www.guitar-repair.com/tuners.htm

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Austin
Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Thumbs up Thank you everyone, I found a screw!

You will not believe it but turns out that Lionel Trains use 4-36 size screws. I discovered this just doing research. I happen to have a broken Lionel train engine and was able to find a screw just the right size for the Guitar! So note to self, need a screw for a vintage guitar? find a vintage toy train!

If you find yourself needing one they can be found on ebay if your search 4-36 screws. The following is almost identical to the one I needed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIONEL-PARTS...item25a4ebf2b7
Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Somewhere out there, on a Lionel train forum, some guy is talking about cannibalizing vintage Waverly tuners to replace missing locomotive screws! It's a world gone mad!

Same length as well? Glad you were able to make your Guild whole.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 AM

pukematrix - no doubt! That is funny. And yes, the same lenght!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
classical, guild, guitar, mark ii