The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Laurence Juber claims to play flesh-only. Must be thicker skinned than me -- I'd be bleeding.
Not saying I'm playing as well as he does, but I'm definitely only hitting the string with flesh on the thumb (moving straight from the large knuckle at the hand). If the corner of my nail catches the string, I cut it.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 11-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Not saying I'm playing as well as he does, but I'm definitely only hitting the string with flesh on the thumb (moving straight from the large knuckle at the hand). If the corner of my nail catches the string, I cut it.
I play flesh-only too. I'm not even close to his speed or sound, but he has convinced me that the approach can be done well.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Martie - I just saw something this week that might interest you. I was watching a video of the Reverend Gary Davis and noted that he put his thumb pick past the knuckle and closer to the hand. Try this and see what you think. I'm not sure at this point if I will convert to that style, but man, it sure makes the bass line pop.
I've been working with a thumb pick in this position for several days and notice a couple of good things:

- My bass is more regular and I insert fewer extra notes. This was a problem I had when the pick was above the knuckle (most folks pick placement). I suspect that my distal (furthest out) thumb flexed at a different rate than the main thumb and tend to double up on the note. IOW, I wasn't keeping the whole thumb stiff. My thumbpicking always seemed to lack consistency and a good rhythm. Let's hope that this is a watershed moment.

-There is better palm muting and I am getting a really good bass thump.

Hey, if this technique was good enough for "The Rev" . . .
Old 11-25-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I've been working with a thumb pick in this position for several days and notice a couple of good things:

- My bass is more regular and I insert fewer extra notes. This was a problem I had when the pick was above the knuckle (most folks pick placement). I suspect that my distal (furthest out) thumb flexed at a different rate than the main thumb and tend to double up on the note. IOW, I wasn't keeping the whole thumb stiff. My thumbpicking always seemed to lack consistency and a good rhythm. Let's hope that this is a watershed moment.

-There is better palm muting and I am getting a really good bass thump.

Hey, if this technique was good enough for "The Rev" . . .
I've just been trying this again too, and it is particularly good for palm muting. Also, the pick feels much more 'locked' in place. Am going to keep practicing with this. Cheers
Old 11-26-2017, 01:47 PM

gary davis thumb 2.jpg
For anyone wondering: Here is a picture of the Rev.'s thumbpick (he has a really long thumb!). And I have seen pictures of it even lower on the thumb.

This has really improved my sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write