The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Default keyboard Suggestions

looking for input about a keyboard that would be a midi controler as well as a stand - alone keyboard for learning and practicing piano - entry level is ok but Some Features I would like are:
1) Touch sensitive - (Weighted keys would be nice but a simlulated feel would be ok
2) 48 polyphonic (or more)
3) USB connection (will be used with Sonar running on windows 8.1)
4) Some on board beats and songs would be great but not imperative

Right now I am looking at the Casio CTK-4400 (Its a bit bulky) for around $150 but can go as high as $300.

Curios to see what you guys use to record with
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM

i use an old korg 61 key triton le. when i go to the big box stores and fiddle around with them, i don't see much difference than what i have, especially as i use it mainly as a midi controller with logic. the newer ones have better built-in sounds tho.

you'll find a ton of them used and you may want to get a really good one cheaper than the store prices.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 PM

Yamaha PSR E453. I have a PSR e433 and it's great for a $250 board. Does almost as much as the $600 synths and the "band" instruments are very realistic. (Trumpet, sax, etc.). Arpeggiates, has split, dual, effects, built in songs, accompaniment is awesome. 453 is a newer model with more voices and greater polyphony. Worth a look.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I picked up an M-Audio Hammer 88 a few months back and I've been very happy with it. 88 fully weighted keys that have a great feel. It's a straight up midi controller so there's no on-board sounds, but it does come with Ableton Live Lite and some other software, so there's plenty of sounds if one goes that route.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 PM

Keyboards are my primary instrument. I'd recommend a Yamaha P-115.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...115/index.html

New would be more than your budget, but you may be able to get a used earlier version (A) in that price range. They recently updated the line with the P-115B. The B series is essentially the same unit with the addition of several extra drum patterns and an app that lets you control it with an iPad. I traded in my A series to get the extra drum patterns. The app alone isn't really worth it, but the additional drum patterns were worth it to me.

I've used it on small gigs with the built-in speakers alone, and I use it as a midi controller with Logic, thru an Apogee Quartet. Works great. I got Guitar Center to sell me one for $500 with one of their discount coupons.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 AM

For $150-300, your only hope for weighted or semi-weighted keys is a used instrument. Look at the Yamahas.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

For $100 more on your budget, you can a semi-weighted, touch sensitive Akai MPK 249 49 keys (which is what I use ) it also has a drum pad which I prefer over keys for drums and percussion.

It has Ableton Lite Live software. But has the drivers for a number of DAW's already on board. and also includes two great virtual instrument synthesizers licences, included Aprox $200 worth, Hybrid 3 from AIR and SONiVox Twist.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Smile Midi Controller

I was going to recommend the Akai MPK series as well, but Kev beat me to it. Great midi controllers for the money. The keyboard feel is actually quite nice too. Akai does make an MPK61 as well. I owned the MPK88.

Good luck. Every time I go to practice piano, I seem to pick up a guitar instead.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post

Good luck. Every time I go to practice piano, I seem to pick up a guitar instead.

Lol, I have thought about picking up a guitar synth to lay down some parts (and still might one day) but i realy want to get my piano chops together.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 PM

MIDI controllers like KevWind suggested are a great solution if you're comfortable using a computer to supply the sounds. MIDI controller have no sound of their own, but hooked up to GarageBand or Apple Logic they can make lots of different sounds. Other DAWs can host "Virtual Instruments" (The software that lets the controllers makes sounds) and some supply a good assortment of Virtual Instruments like Logic and GarageBand do right out of the box. Additional VIs are available for all kinds of things (including full orchestras with multiple instrument sections).

If on the other hand you just want to plug in a keyboard to an interface or amplifier and play some music, then you're looking at keyboards that have their own sounds. Many of those will also serve as a MIDI controller if you want to use computer based sounds too. The only hangup: you'll very likely pay more for the same level of key feel for a keyboard with it's own sounds.

So there's your first decision.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
MIDI controllers like KevWind suggested are a great solution if you're comfortable using a computer to supply the sounds. MIDI controller have no sound of their own, but hooked up to GarageBand or Apple Logic they can make lots of different sounds. Other DAWs can host "Virtual Instruments" (The software that lets the controllers makes sounds) and some supply a good assortment of Virtual Instruments like Logic and GarageBand do right out of the box. Additional VIs are available for all kinds of things (including full orchestras with multiple instrument sections).

If on the other hand you just want to plug in a keyboard to an interface or amplifier and play some music, then you're looking at keyboards that have their own sounds. Many of those will also serve as a MIDI controller if you want to use computer based sounds too. The only hangup: you'll very likely pay more for the same level of key feel for a keyboard with it's own sounds.

So there's your first decision.
Hey Frankhudson

I am comfortable using the computer for the sounds but also want to be able to use the keyboard as a stand alone learning tool as well as songwriting tool.i like tha fact that some of the lower end keyboard come with sequencing.

Seems like the Casio CTK 4400 is a good budget keyboard that will fill all of my criteria except the weighted keys, for which I will have to spend substantially more for. For now I want to get my "Ivory Chops" together, but I would eventually I upgrade to a better unit.

Does any one have the CTK 4400?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM

The CTK4400 is cheap ($149 new) - but the real drawback on this model: no audio outputs at all! Not even a headphone jack.
The CTK6200 has all the same features and 1/4" left & right audio outputs for $199 (still no headphone jack, though).
If you can live without the semi-weighted keys, consider the Casio WK series. I've got an older model, the piano and organ sounds are quite good (strings, not so much). The WK245 is $199 and has a headphone jack, but no line-out jacks.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

If you want synth sounds without a piano/keyboard, you could also try a midi guitar and controller. You will also need synth software on your computer for t he best sounds. I have a Brian Moore midi guitar and Blue Chip midi controller. They do also make midi pickups you can add to an existing electric guitar.

I don't use my midi guitar much but it is fun when I do. The tracking and latency are not as good as a keyboard. Also, if you take time to learn piano, your chords and playing sound much more piano-like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD