The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Really enjoying playing these high quality mini's..

While the sound on my Little Martin is not even close to a decent full sized guitar, I end up playing it 10x more often because it can sit on a stand in any room, I can take it outside in the backyard and it's a helluva lot of fun to play. My GS mini koa is a great sounding guitar and I play it almost as much as my LM.

Obviously these are great additions to my 2 full sized martins and nothing close to a substitute, but it got me thinking about finding a great sounding <$2000 model to try that's smaller than my HD-28v and has a different style (I LOVED a Taylor Koa I played at a GC while traveling and can't remember the model......)

I already have an OM-21 that I love but would be interested in finding something else that might be between that and the GS mini. And as a newer player I do find Taylors are generally easier to play for me in general (maybe it's in my head) - and would be nice to have another full sized (but on the small size - i.e. NOT another Dreadnought). I won't ever use the pickups so that's irrelevant (jus play for myself and with friends)

Anyone have something they'd recommend in this tweener zone?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor xx2 series is calling to you. Great options if you like the Taylor fit and tone. I own 3, they are stellar guitars.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post

Something in a 00 or 0 size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 AM

After injuring my shoulder I left the dread world for 000's. I recently bought a 00-28 and it is the most comfortable guitar I've played size wise. I play it in the recliner if I desire. I had a Baby Taylor and while it was fine for what it was it was a little small for handling and sound. I sold it to a person so his 8 and 10 year olds could learn guitar. The 00-28 lacks nothing to me. You may also want to check out the new 0-18 by Martin. For a porch guitar I found a used Ibanez AVN1 12 fret. It doesn't sound like a Martin, but a very usable guitar in its own right. There are many choices out there. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Ive heard great things about the Wee Lowden as a very high end small guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 AM

FWIW I play my Martin CS 00-42 more than any of my other guitars.

You lose some low end but the balance is wonderful, great mid clarity, and at 67 with arthritis, comfort is a big factor..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
While the sound on my Little Martin is not even close to a decent full sized guitar, I end up playing it 10x more often because it can sit on a stand in any room, I can take it outside in the backyard and it's a helluva lot of fun to play. My GS mini koa is a great sounding guitar and I play it almost as much as my LM.

Obviously these are great additions to my 2 full sized martins and nothing close to a substitute, but it got me thinking about finding a great sounding <$2000 model to try that's smaller than my HD-28v and has a different style (I LOVED a Taylor Koa I played at a GC while traveling and can't remember the model......)

I already have an OM-21 that I love but would be interested in finding something else that might be between that and the GS mini. And as a newer player I do find Taylors are generally easier to play for me in general (maybe it's in my head) - and would be nice to have another full sized (but on the small size - i.e. NOT another Dreadnought). I won't ever use the pickups so that's irrelevant (jus play for myself and with friends)

I own a Little Martin, a koa Baby Taylor and the GS mini koa. Dreadnoughts wear me out, physically.
Here is my group:
Alvarez parlor (mine is a hog top, lam hog body 12 fret. Gets better in humidity)
Alvarez Blues 51 (my THE ONE guitar)

I am a newer player as well and did sell 2-000 Martins because they were just too much for me in size. Taylors are easier and more fun for me to play. Each company seems to have a different definition of what 0, 00, 000, OM, etc really is. I literally write down dimensions. Because the depth is important to me in terms of comfort.
Happy Hunting!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Something in a 00 or 0 size.
+1.....................

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:

How small are the rooms in your house and your backyard.
I can take my full size dreads on a stand in any room in my house or in my backyard and often do.
Having said that I agree that sometimes it is fun to pick up my GS Mini (Well my grand daughters who I bought it for) and play it. But play it 10X more than my Authentics? Not a chance.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
The Taylor xx2 series is calling to you. Great options if you like the Taylor fit and tone. I own 3, they are stellar guitars.
Every chance I get I play one of the xx2 series. Really comfortable to play. I have a folk guitar that is a good size, but tonewise it doesn't​ compare to a Taylor 312.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Gotta check one of the XX2's out!

Should have mentioned I have 3 young kids and live in the northeast so much riskier than normal to have high end guitars lying around. Hence playing the mini's more often because I can actually risk leaving them out. But as a newer player I still find the smaller guitars easier to play in general, but the overall tone and experience is light years better on my HD-28v. That's why I'm thinking something between the GS mini and OM-21 could make sense. Decisions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

I love gigging with my GS Mini and they are great guitars . I've also got a Martin OODB JT totally recommend them
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

For something fun to play that's safe to leave out around the little ones I would recommend either a Martin 00X1AE ($500 new or $300 used) or an Ibanez AC240 ($299.00 new or $250 used). Both are durable and really good sounding guitars for not a lot of money. And being a 00 (Parlor) size guitar they're in the range of sizes you're looking for. I'm pretty sure Alvarez has some nice offerings in this size too, I'm just less hands on familiar with them.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Should have mentioned I have 3 young kids and live in the northeast so much riskier than normal to have high end guitars lying around. Hence playing the mini's more often because I can actually risk leaving them out. But as a newer player I still find the smaller guitars easier to play in general, but the overall tone and experience is light years better on my HD-28v. That's why I'm thinking something between the GS mini and OM-21 could make sense. Decisions....

I leave my Alvarez parlor out on the stand in the living room with 3 dogs. In fact, one dog is sleeping next to it now. They thump their tails on it sometimes. I understand about the children, since mine "used" our piano for years. They will grow and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM

A few years ago I got a tenor uke and that's my fun instrument now. I can play chords on it that I would never even think about tackling on a guitar and the portability is amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin om-21, mini guitar, taylor