The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Austin AA60-PSB - Alvarez AP66 Copy

Was browsing reverb the other day and I came across an Austin AA60 which to me looks like a copy of the Alvarez AP66 parlor.

Now, back in the early 90s when I first picked up a guitar, the local mom & pop guitar store in my area carried Austin guitars. My best friend at the time had an Austin Les Paul copy which was pretty crappy. I see that the brand is still out there making copies of popular models.

I am by no means asking if the Austin matches the Alvarez in quality, I'm just curious if anyone has seen/played this guitar.

I already own a Martin OM and plan on picking up an Alvarez in the future.

I also wouldn't mind buying one of $200 parlors that are out there. Of all the cheap 200 dollar parlors constantly talked discussed on here, I've only been able to play the RK Dirty 30s parlor.

So has anyone played the Austin?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Austin and Alvarez are both brands owned by St. Louis Music. They don't make their guitars. The guitars are made for them under contract. Alvarez offers some fairly nice guitars in their Masterworks series as well as lower priced ones. The Austin line seems to lower-end only but there appears to be some overlap in their offerings. I can't say if the Austin and Alvarez have identical specs., but it wouldn't surprise me if they were both made in the same overseas factory.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM

I played the Alvarez version ,the Ap66 I think, I was about to buy it in store after I played it.It was very well balanced sonically and the neck was really smooth, reminded me of my long gone Taylor GC3 in that it was just really easy to play. I ended up not buying it since I had already ordered a Ibanez AC300, so I didn't want 2 brand new guitars. I've never played an Austin though, but from the pics they do look exactly the same.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm going up to a store this weekend to try to find an AP66 to play. I'll keep my eye out for the Austin as well.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM

I have one of the Alvarez AP66SBE's, and also have a cheap Austin AA50 dread. The Austin is not in the same class as the Alvarez. I'll be listing the Alvarez Ap66SBE sometime shortly, as I just don't play it enough. It's a sweet little guitar, but I don't have enough time in the day to play it like it needs to be played. I also need to downsize.

( @ )===:::
Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Yea I've played pretty much all the Alvarez parlor models that are currently being made. Very nice guitars.

I was just bringing attention to the Austin since there is a lot of threads on here about dirt cheap parlors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
parlor guitar