The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM

yea usually parlor guitars have pretty wide nuts and thick necks.

but i will say, if its going to be their very first guitar, i think they can get used to it. My first guitar was an old gibson with a pretty thick neck. I have small hands and had really small hands back then, but i got used to it and i prefer a fatter neck and more space on the fretboard usually. But everyone is different so its hard to say.

i think a travel guitar would be a safer bet for a kid, and because of the travel part, i recommend a carbon fiber one.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty View Post
How close are you to the guitar mecca that is Paraguay? Maybe you can get to Asuncion before your tour is over. You may get some "guitar overload". Also, the music shops clustered together in Lima seem to have some interesting guitars besides the ubiquitous charangos.
Paraguay is a guitar mecca, huh? I'm living in Quito and won't likely get to Asuncion, and probably not Lima either unless we do a trip to Machu Picchu before we leave.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM

My first guitar was a no-name Japanese nylon-string with a neck like a railroad tie. When it broke in 1967 I got a Madrilena spruce/birch classical (on which I stupidly put a steel E string and eventually cracked the top bec. I didn't know better--nor about humidity control in a NYC steam-heated apt.). Both had necks far wider than my Larrivee parlor or Gretsch Way Out West, and I have smaller hands than any adult guitarist I know except perhaps Muriel Anderson.

The Gretsch (parlor size) was a Musician's friend Stupid Deal of the Day for $50. The Larrivee Parlours--especially now that they're made in CA (the state) and not CA (the country)--are costlier now than when I bought mine, but I got mine new for the price of a Little Martin, Big Baby Taylor or Baby Taylor. You can probably find one used just as cheaply.

May I suggest an alternative? Strunel makes student classical guitars for the Suzuki-method market in sizes from 1/4 to 3/4 size (necks in proportion). They are made in either the Czech Republic or Slovakia and are decently built (better intonation out of the box than the Way Out West). And they are much cheaper than any of the guitars mentioned.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM

I obviously haven't tried them all, but I've never found a travel guitar that was either comfortable to play or sounded good enough to buy.
JMHO of course.
MJRB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a&l ami, baby taylor, little martin, parlor guitar, travel guitar