The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You don't need to use the UA2192 AES/EBU connections during mixing, or at any other time.
What'd I miss here??
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
What'd I miss here??
Rick wants to used his outboard Lexicon on mixdown. His M-Audio interface is only SPDIF and the Lexicon is only AES/EBU. I had suggested connecting the Lexicon via AES/EBU to SPDIF converters cabling, or to connect them via analog ins and outs. The UA2192 would not be involved in that loop.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Rick wants to used his outboard Lexicon on mixdown. His M-Audio interface is only SPDIF and the Lexicon is only AES/EBU. I had suggested connecting the Lexicon via AES/EBU to SPDIF converters cabling, or to connect them via analog ins and outs. The UA2192 would not be involved in that loop.
I see. I assumed the focus was making AES/EBU work. Analog would certainly be easier in the general scheme of things especially considering S/PDIF to AES/EBU conversion is new territory to me, particularly to the issue of clock.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I see. I assumed the focus was making AES/EBU work. Analog would certainly be easier in the general scheme of things especially considering S/PDIF to AES/EBU conversion is new territory to me, particularly to the issue of clock.
The AES/EBU format is self-clocking: word clock is embedded in the digital audio stream. SPDIF does this also.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 PM

sdelsolray, moon,

Thanks for helping me out with these issues! Please revisit this thread next week when the cables arrive. I will probably have some questions about how to use the software to apply the outboard effects to each track of the mix as needed.

BTW, when I patch the PCM92 through the Profire box, will the input signal level to the PCM be enough? I already patched the PCM through the Profire using the analog i/o's and the LED signal level to the PCM was only enough to light up the first LEDs. At one point, I patched the PCM between the AD2022 pre and the UA2192, and the level was normal, similar to the signal level of the UA2192 during recording.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
sdelsolray, moon,

Thanks for helping me out with these issues! Please revisit this thread next week when the cables arrive. I will probably have some questions about how to use the software to apply the outboard effects to each track of the mix as needed.

BTW, when I patch the PCM92 through the Profire box, will the input signal level to the PCM be enough? I already patched the PCM through the Profire using the analog i/o's and the LED signal level to the PCM was only enough to light up the first LEDs. At one point, I patched the PCM between the AD2022 pre and the UA2192, and the level was normal, similar to the signal level of the UA2192 during recording.

Thanks!
Rick,

You should calibrate your recording gear VU meters (in whatever units they exist) and your converters (in whatever units they exist). I suggest -20 dbfs = 0 dBu.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 05-06-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't think the problem has anything to do with VU meter calibration. I am just wondering how I can get a stronger signal through the PCM when it is used alone with the Profire or even when connected to the E-MU 1212 soundcard i/o's. It is fine when connected in line between the UA2192 and the AD2022. When connected to the Profire analog i/o's, I had the software levels for the I/O's maxed out, but still could not get a strong signal from the PCM.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think the problem has anything to do with VU meter calibration. I am just wondering how I can get a stronger signal through the PCM when it is used alone with the Profire or even when connected to the E-MU 1212 soundcard i/o's. It is fine when connected in line between the UA2192 and the AD2022. When connected to the Profire analog i/o's, I had the software levels for the I/O's maxed out, but still could not get a strong signal from the PCM.
You won't easily know how strong the signals are until you calibrate your metering and converters. It's a standard studio calibration that you only need to do once.

The Profire will put the same signal level out to whatever you connect it to. Does it have a -10dBV or +4dBu setting, either hardware or software? If it does, set it to +4dBu.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
You won't easily know how strong the signals are until you calibrate your metering and converters. It's a standard studio calibration that you only need to do once.

The Profire will put the same signal level out to whatever you connect it to. Does it have a -10dBV or +4dBu setting, either hardware or software? If it does, set it to +4dBu.
Yes, everything is set to +4dBu.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM

I have been trying to get a stronger signal into the PCM92. At best, I get one LED lighting up. I think I have tried everything with the settings of the Profire 610 to get the highest signal level, but am not successful. I get a good signal into the PCM when it is in line between the AD2022 and the UA2192 converter, but as a separate effects send/return kind of setup, can't get much of a signal. Seems nobody knows how to solve this dilemna.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:31 PM

I think I will end up having to put the PCM92 in line between the mic preamp and the converters and just record each track with effects to the desired level. I will just have to make sure the effects are to my satisfaction before saving the final recording. The problem I foresee is that when I start combining tracks with different effects, the final mix might not sound right. I just don't know what to do. Maybe take the PCM-92 back and just use software plugins.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been trying to get a stronger signal into the PCM92. At best, I get one LED lighting up. I think I have tried everything with the settings of the Profire 610 to get the highest signal level, but am not successful. I get a good signal into the PCM when it is in line between the AD2022 and the UA2192 converter, but as a separate effects send/return kind of setup, can't get much of a signal. Seems nobody knows how to solve this dilemna.
Set the Lexicon to unity gain.

Measure the output leaving your M-Audio (to the Lexicon).

Measure the input entering your M-Audio (from the Lexicon).

Are the measurements different? The same?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I will end up having to put the PCM92 in line between the mic preamp and the converters and just record each track with effects to the desired level.
No, don't do that.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Set the Lexicon to unity gain.

Measure the output leaving your M-Audio (to the Lexicon).

Measure the input entering your M-Audio (from the Lexicon).

Are the measurements different? The same?
sdelsolray,

I don't see a setting on the lexicon called unity gain. There is no mention of this in the manual.

How do I measure the output and input levels? All I can go by is what I can see and hear by way of the led input levels and the software input levels.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-08-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 PM

I just connected my Lexicon MPX550 using both SPDIF and Analog connects, and everything was fine. So, I wonder what is up with the PCM92.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD