The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Default Help me solve a problem

I was able to finally reclaim the den and was setting up my mics to record. I have a pair of Behringer C2 mics going into a Scarlett 2i2. The problem is when I record, I here this low frequency rumble:

Anyone know what could be causing this? It only happens when I have both Behringers plugged in. That low frequency rumble goes away with either of the C2s by themselves or with any other mic, dynamic or condenser. Using the low frequency cut-off switch does nothing. I can filter it out a bit in Audacity but I'd rather it not be there in the first place.

I could use any of my other mics to record but I really liked that pair for X-Y.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 PM

I'm not hearing anything over headphones turned up all the way! There is a very faint noise but, I don't think it would be loud enough to be heard when something is recorded much louder over it. If you are hearing a loud low frequency noise it might be in your play-back circuit and have nothing to do with actual recorded sound.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Self noise in your signal chain. Without a metered reference, it's impossible to say whether that noise is soft, medium or loud.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I was able to finally reclaim the den and was setting up my mics to record. I have a pair of Behringer C2 mics going into a Scarlett 2i2. The problem is when I record, I here this low frequency rumble:

Anyone know what could be causing this? It only happens when I have both Behringers plugged in. That low frequency rumble goes away with either of the C2s by themselves or with any other mic, dynamic or condenser. Using the low frequency cut-off switch does nothing. I can filter it out a bit in Audacity but I'd rather it not be there in the first place.

I could use any of my other mics to record but I really liked that pair for X-Y.
If it only happens when both mics are plugged in, I would suspect the phantom supply can't supply enough current for both mics. Try an outboard supply for one or both microphones to see if the rumble goes away.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
If it only happens when both mics are plugged in, I would suspect the phantom supply can't supply enough current for both mics. Try an outboard supply for one or both microphones to see if the rumble goes away.
Hmm... I'll see what I can do. I'll also try to redo the recording with something to guage it with. Guess I didn't think of that!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 AM

I accidentally left everything on all night and when I tried to make a new recording this morning, there was no noise. I don't know that I fixed everything but maybe the mics needed to just sit there and think about what they've done.

weird...
Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
That's very possible. Is the Scarlett USB-powered or does it have a wallwart? If USB, your cmoputer may not be providing enough current to the Scarlett for 2 condensor mics - if it happens again, unplug any other USB devices that are connected (except keyboard and mouse, of course).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's very possible. Is the Scarlett USB-powered or does it have a wallwart? If USB, your cmoputer may not be providing enough current to the Scarlett for 2 condensor mics - if it happens again, unplug any other USB devices that are connected (except keyboard and mouse, of course).
Yes, low power to a mic can do this. I definitely hear the noise. Maybe the interface only offers 12 or 24 V DC phantom or not enough mA to power both mics at the same time. Whether or not that's the reason or not is hard to say. Is this a single family home or is it attached? If attached, could it be coming through the walls and foundation from elsewhere.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Yes, low power to a mic can do this. I definitely hear the noise. Maybe the interface only offers 12 or 24 V DC phantom or not enough mA to power both mics at the same time. Whether or not that's the reason or not is hard to say. Is this a single family home or is it attached? If attached, could it be coming through the walls and foundation from elsewhere.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I think you are on to something here. It's definitely an electrical issue and the interface can handle one of these condensers and a dynamic. As I mentioned above, it was gone this morning. One thing that was different is that I plugged it into a USB3 port instead of USB2. I believe the USB3 standard requires a higher power rating.

Anyway, it seems to be gone so I'm happy now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD