The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Default How to mix two signals?

I wanted to mix the mic input with the ES pickup. How do I do that? My interface have 2 inputs but when it comes into garage band my only option is to use left and right channels which doesn't quite work because the pickup is much louder than the mic. I've tried a splitter forcing both inputs into one but that wouldn't allow me to control the mix. Do I need a mixer?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

What you want to do is take the two inputs into the program and record each of them to separate mono tracks. Voile'! Independent control.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

When I record solo acoustic guitar, I always record each source (mic, pickup, whatever) to a separate mono track, That way, it is easier to adjust each track (e.g., add separate eq, panning, etc.) separately before mixing them together on the 2 bus.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 AM

But wouldn't that mean I have to play the same track twice with exactly the same timing?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:51 AM

No. At the moment, as Bob says, it sounds like you're recording onto a stereo track, which will take both of your interfaces inputs, and route them both to the same track (so by default, input 1 of your interface will go to the left side, and input 2 to the right). By creating two mono tracks, you'll only be able to select one input source for each, which will have the result of putting each source onto its own separate track.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke W View Post
No. At the moment, as Bob says, it sounds like you're recording onto a stereo track, which will take both of your interfaces inputs, and route them both to the same track (so by default, input 1 of your interface will go to the left side, and input 2 to the right). By creating two mono tracks, you'll only be able to select one input source for each, which will have the result of putting each source onto its own separate track.

I think I got it !
Is my setting wrong though? It sounds very muffled with just the mic

Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 AM

That may be down to the position of the mic. Sounds pretty natural though, so its a good starting point.

As the mic is nearly out of view its quite hard to tell, but it looks although the angle your guitar is sitting at has the result of your mic being "off-axis". The result of this would be that the mic will be a bit less responsive in the high frequency range, that would add up with you feeling that it sounds "muffled".

If you match the angle of the mic to your guitar, so the grille is at the same angle as your fretboard, you're very likely to notice that the sound is "brighter", and maybe closer to what you were looking for.

Its much easier when recording someone else play, as you can get some headphones on and move the mic around to find the ideal position, a little harder when your the guy doing both the playing and the micing! Trial and error is definitely the way forward for this sort of thing.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Yeah, the mic sounds bad. Play with placement. Start around the 12th fret aimed straight at the fret board maybe a foot out. Then adjust levels and see how it goes then make little changes until you get the sound you are looking for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD