The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Bare necessities to get started?

I've been playing for a long time but never recorded myself except for on the very basic windows sound recorder. (I know).
I have a Takamine NV360 with Cooltube pre-amp, a Roland AC60 amp and a computer running windows 8.
I'd like to build my own backing tracks but haven't a clue where to start.
What other equipment and software do I need to get started?
For instance, do I need an interface? What would be an easy software package for me to use? Is there a guide available for absolute beginners?
Unfortunately cost is an issue, so I need to do this as cheaply as I can.
Thank you for any help you can give
Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Do spend a few hours searching through the many prior threads that answer this exact question.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Alot depends on your budget and what you want to do with recording. If one microphone is sufficient, a USB mic will do the trick for $100 and download Audacity software for free. I have a Blue Yeti and I really like it - very decent sound quality and I like that it has a gain control on the mic - many don't and you'll have to play around with your sound level settings on your compluter to get the sound right.

A problem that I had (and many others) is that I couldn't get the guitar vs. vocal mix right when I recorded with only one mic. The guitar would be too loud. I went with a USB interface/mixer, like the Yamaha Audiogram6 - it allows you to mix multiple inputs. Of course, you'd need a microphone still.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD