The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 AM

Default Zoom H1n Guitar and vocals

Was wondering if I can get some tips on placement with this? Just got one today, never recorded a thing before, and this seems plenty for my needs. SQ is very good when uploaded.

Guitar sounds great, but vocals can get lost easily. I put the H1 on the desk in front of me standing up, but can't seem to capture the vocals as clearly.

Thx
Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
Was wondering if I can get some tips on placement with this? Just got one today, never recorded a thing before, and this seems plenty for my needs. SQ is very good when uploaded.

Guitar sounds great, but vocals can get lost easily. I put the H1 on the desk in front of me standing up, but can't seem to capture the vocals as clearly.

Thx
If the vocals are getting lost you need to move the H1 closer to your mouth. The easiest ($$) way to do this is with a mic boom stand and an adapter for the 1/4" thread on the H1.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-11-2014, 01:53 PM

I have an H4n and typically use it about 12-16 inches away pointed toward the soundhole at about a 35 - 45 degree angle from the fretboard in the deadest room i have. A dead box is helpful too..... which is basically a box that surrounds the mic (s) to prevent muddled sound coming from behind the mics. Experiment with locations and capturing the gtr and vocals with a unit like this in one take is a compromise. Heres a link with some good ideas..... http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
DBZ Barchetta 13
Yamaha GL1 Guitalele
Bedell MBA 17 G

Last edited by kenstogie; 11-11-2014 at 02:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD