The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I was just watching an old episode where Aunt Bee sends Opie a sarape and sombrero from her Mexico vacation. Opie goes over and grabs the D-18 with a very noticable "CLUNK" against something as he picks it up to strum a couple mariachi chords. Andy doesn't even cringe... The poor Martin weenies nowadays would've had a heart attack!
There's actually quite a story on that D18. He rescued it from the set of a movie he was in, where it had been painted black and had sequins on it. He sanded it down himself and took it to John Dangelico's shop and had him refinish it. I don't remember where I read the article, but it was very interesting.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
Many people in the US have dialup. A lot of people cant afford or (like me) absolutely refuse to pay $500/year (or more) just for freakin internet access. I can get high speed, but I have dialup. It costs 6.95/mo.

In my town, we have free wi-fi through out the city. It's great!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Many people in the US have dialup. A lot of people cant afford or (like me) absolutely refuse to pay $500/year (or more) just for freakin internet access. I can get high speed, but I have dialup. It costs 6.95/mo.
I'm one of those folks who still has dialup, and for the same reason. If I DO want to download a Youtube video, I'll take the time to work on some music or something else while it's downloading. I also ditched cable TV in '95 because I wasn't watching that much TV and the cost of even the basic service wasn't worth it to me.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Seeing as I'm on dialup my research has been limited, but looking at a couple clips on youtube I'd say he is using parlor guitar technique. His Down in the Valley is pure parlor guitar-bass, upward brush on the treble. I dont see Maybelle Carter's style in this. This is about the easiest technique there is to learn.

Does he play everything this way? I've only looked at Down in the Valley, Whoa Mule and Dixie Darling but in all 3 it seems he is doing the same basic thing, with slight variation on how many trebles he is playing on the UP.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM

OK, I had too...

Here is a youtube clip that shows a close up of his picking hand about 1:03.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKhW...eature=related

By watching the clip it looks more like thumb, middle and ring finger.

Enjoy.
Darrel
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM

OK, for example, "Riding On That New River Train" is the song Rafe Hollister sang at the end of an episode. There are a couple pf othjer fast ones, I just can't think of any right now. FWIW, It took 9 hours to download Pete Huttlinger's Superstiution" on you tube.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
and maybe a slice of home made apple pie.
Baked by Aunt Bea, of course

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM

I'd say the description of what Andy is doing is pretty accurate, where he is playing a bass note/notes with the thumb followed by an upstroke/brush with the middle or ring finger, in the treble, instead of the usual downstroke, like in 4/4 time. In addition to watching the series faithfully when it was on originally and recent watching with my sons of an extensive dvd collection of the series, I haven't seen Andy use any other technique, other than a simple downstroke strum of chords with the thumb.

I doubt he has an instructional guitar method dvd out.

Sorry for another youtube, but this is about the coolest guitar arrangement of the Andy Griffith Theme that I've seen. I attempted it but didn't get too far. Tommy Jones' arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8oiF...rom=PL&index=5

Last edited by David Hilyard; 05-06-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Back then in the early sixties it was simply cool to see an actual Martin guitar getting air time on TV and not some prop instrument. Same thing for occasionally seeing Flatt & Scruggs on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Don't forget Petticoat Junction!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post

I doubt he has an instructional guitar method dvd out.

I found this transcript of his instructional DVD:

"I pick the bass notes with my thumb and strum up on the treble strings with my ring and middle finger. Thanks so much for watching, folks".

Not to make fun of him or his playing at all. In all likelihood I first fell in love with banjo and old timey music from old episodes of his show growing up in the 60s, and it is still my favorite kind of music. It is what got me started playing several decades later. You dont need fancy techniques to make great music.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM

well ya'll can make fun ot it iffin ya'll want to. But here in my neck of the woods we have a very very nice porch that overlooks a forest of old growth trees (oaks, sassafrass mulberry etc.). town is about 8 miles with one hall where every tuesday many pickers (some famous old timers) get together and do the clawhammer. Sometimes many of us meet at the river, which is walking distance from my farm (oh yea with overalls and no shoes) and a fishin rod in one hand and a beater in the other. Then of course there is Sunday night bluegrass at church with some very famous pickers come up from Branson. I don't know about ya'll but if we don't meet on my porch we go to the back of the farm and sit by the dug out firepit and wail. Somethings just don't get any better. My neighbors son can really sing, his voice just rings out in the night as the animals bellow out their tune along with him. I don't plan on moving to the city anytime soon. You can't see my porch but you can see the forest we own. Music and the Ozarks go hand in hand.

sincerely Donnell

Last edited by missouri.picker; 05-06-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I found this transcript of his instructional DVD:

"I pick the bass notes with my thumb and strum up on the treble strings with my ring and middle finger. Thanks so much for watching, folks".

Not to make fun of him or his playing at all. In all likelihood I first fell in love with banjo and old timey music from old episodes of his show growing up in the 60s, and it is still my favorite kind of music. It is what got me started playing several decades later. You dont need fancy techniques to make great music.
I was always happy when The Dillards were on and Andy grabbed a guitar and joined in. My parents would say "There Dave, play guitar like that. That's good music." It was fun to see Clarence White in that clip, too. Nice times, those days in Mayberry.

"Citizen's arrest, Ange! Citizen's arrest."

Last edited by David Hilyard; 05-06-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Banjar,

If you couple it with a good broadband telephone service, the price looks alot better. I had dial up for many years. Once FIOS came to town, there was no looking back. Boy did I hate dial up.....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Back to Andy's playing (for a minute). I call that "chicken pickin". I play like that alot, but usually with a thumbpick. I also play occasionally what I call "banjo style" with a thumb pick and 2 finger picks. I'm from the same county Earl Scruggs is from. It's mandatory to play 3 finger style every now and then. I also play banjo some((gasp!!!!!)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
well ya'll can make fun ot it iffin ya'll want to. ... Music and the Ozarks go hand in hand.
I was only making fun of his imaginary DVD. I love Andy's playing, and I play clawhammer/oldtime banjo exclusively, and I love Ozark fiddle music. I love all simple, by-the-people music.

As for broad band phone...you dont want to get me started on $#*&% phone companies. My mammy worked for Ma Bell back in the good old days, when Angie was getting Sarah on the old crank phone! And I wont sign contracts because I'm away for months at a time...and just because .
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion