The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Should this nut be replaced

I just recently bought this Taylor 114 CE and I measured the space under the strings at the first fret and it's below Taylor's spec recommendations. There's a tiny space under the Low E string and practically no space if any other the high strength. There is no buzzing but the strings don't seem to ring out the way they should. They sound somewhat dead even though the strings are not old. Here are some pics. I have a capo on the third fret.

Last edited by JackB1; 03-09-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 AM

[url]http://
Old 03-09-2018, 06:41 AM

Old 03-09-2018, 06:42 AM

Old 03-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

It's a little tricky to figure it out that way but it sounds like the nut slots are a little low. The frets look unworn so I doubt the nut slots wore down - they might have started out a tad on the low end of the tolerance.

It is absolutely low impact to change it. You can buy a replacement nut for like $11 and then put it on, file/sand it down trial-and-error (with patience) to get it just the way you want.

Worst case, you waste $11 and a little time but still have the old nut.

Nutrocker/Fretrocker is a good way to check nut slot depth. Google that. You don;t need the actual tool - you can make your own.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Don't be intimidated or view setups as anything mysterious. It's a good way to dial in the guitar just right for you.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I just recently bought this Taylor 114 CE and I measured the space under the strings at the first fret and it's below Taylor's spec recommendations. There's a tiny space under the Low E string and practically no space if any other the high strength. There is no buzzing but the strings don't seem to ring out the way they should. They sound somewhat dead even though the strings are not old. Here are some pics. I have a capo on the third fret.
With your capo on third, tap each spring directly above 1st fret. If you hear a little ping it means there is clearance, and you are good to go.

As to your notes not seeming to ring out. Is it only the open? Because if you hear the same thing on fretted notes, it has nothing to do with the nut.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It's a little tricky to figure it out that way but it sounds like the nut slots are a little low. The frets look unworn so I doubt the nut slots wore down - they might have started out a tad on the low end of the tolerance.

It is absolutely low impact to change it. You can buy a replacement nut for like $11 and then put it on, file/sand it down trial-and-error (with patience) to get it just the way you want.

Worst case, you waste $11 and a little time but still have the old nut.

Nutrocker/Fretrocker is a good way to check nut slot depth. Google that. You don;t need the actual tool - you can make your own.
OK thanks. Should I just get the same Tusq nut or something better? Also I have never changed a nut before....is it relatively easy?
Or can I just remove the existing nut and put a shim of some sort under it to raise it up a hair? Maybe like a piece of cardboard or a business card?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM

What fazool says.

I tried sliding a couple of strips of veneer under the nut about eight years ago and that's as far as I got - it still has them in place now. However, mine is not a high end guitar.

YouTube
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
With your capo on third, tap each spring directly above 1st fret. If you hear a little ping it means there is clearance, and you are good to go.

As to your notes not seeming to ring out. Is it only the open? Because if you hear the same thing on fretted notes, it has nothing to do with the nut.
Yes same thing on fretted notes I think, but let me recheck.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Over thinking

Looks fine to me.

I have never been one to measure everything even though I have worked in calibration in one form or other for 39 years.

If it plays well and has no buzzing then leave it be. Improvement may of may not be possible.

If you must then slip a brass shim under the nut to see if there is a difference if there is then go with a thicker or thinner shim until the "improvement" stops then you will have the measurements you need to make a new nut.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Even easier. Pull the nut and put a sticky paper label on the bottom, then trim away the excess. Reinstall with only string tension holding it in place. You just raised your nut slots by about 0.004" across the board (assuming 20# paper stock), and it is completely reversible. I use the "ping" trick described above rather than measuring tiny clearances.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Looks fine to me.

I have never been one to measure everything even though I have worked in calibration in one form or other for 39 years.

If it plays well and has no buzzing then leave it be. Improvement may of may not be possible.

If you must then slip a brass shim under the nut to see if there is a difference if there is then go with a thicker or thinner shim until the "improvement" stops then you will have the measurements you need to make a new nut.
So a shim is not a permanent solution?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Even easier. Pull the nut and put a sticky paper label on the bottom, then trim away the excess. Reinstall with only string tension holding it in place. You just raised your nut slots by about 0.004" across the board (assuming 20# paper stock), and it is completely reversible. I use the "ping" trick described above rather than measuring tiny clearances.
You think just 1 sticky note piece of paper will make a difference?

The high E string doesn't make a ping sound but the low E does. The high E appears to be sitting on the fret, but it's not buzzing so it must not be. I just know that the string clearance at the first fret is way lower than what Taylor recommends on their spec sheet.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:31 AM

I personally think a shim of paper under an otherwise very good nut is completely acceptable as long term solution. I've done it many times, sometimes even as a seasonal tweak between wet and dry seasons. I do a slightly different test - I pluck the string between the nut and the second fret (capo or pressing down at the third fret) and I want to hear a clear note sound, and a note around twice as high when I press between the second and third fret. That's testing for a too-low nut. When I cut nut slots I tap on the string over the first fret and want to hear a click.

Last edited by MC5C; 03-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair