The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Tonedexter first experience - truly amazing

I'm not a live sound tech or a recording engineer by any means. So I just bought some gear and followed directions. I know those who have a Tonedexter already know this, but I thought I'd share for the benefit of those considering investing in one.

The results are unbelievable! It took me a few tries to get the right mic placement. Once I found it, holy smokes! I can actually get a sound that's better than mic'd, through the pickup! And... with the Character setting, it can be adjusted for use on stage with a band.

Some tips:

1. Dynamic mics don't really work. I tried a very nice Sennheiser e935 that I already owned and it didn't do it. You'll need to invest in some type of condenser mic.

2. Buy good headphones. You'll need to be able to compare various mic placements in detail. Good sound isolation and flat frequency response (monitor headphones) are basically required.

3. Experiment with mic placement. Small changes make a big difference.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Have you gigged with it?

Steve
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Have you gigged with it?
Sunday morning (10 hours from now) at church. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 PM

I played live (gigged, I suppose) with my Tonedexter for the first time today at church. Worked great. The one thing I wish were different about the Tonedexter is if it could be powered with phantom power from the XLR output. No big deal, but that would increase its convenience.

Building my live rig around the Tonedexter going forward. Solid / revolutionary product.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I'm not a live sound tech or a recording engineer by any means. So I just bought some gear and followed directions. I know those who have a Tonedexter already know this, but I thought I'd share for the benefit of those considering investing in one.

The results are unbelievable! It took me a few tries to get the right mic placement. Once I found it, holy smokes! I can actually get a sound that's better than mic'd, through the pickup! And... with the Character setting, it can be adjusted for use on stage with a band.

Some tips:

1. Dynamic mics don't really work. I tried a very nice Sennheiser e935 that I already owned and it didn't do it. You'll need to invest in some type of condenser mic.

2. Buy good headphones. You'll need to be able to compare various mic placements in detail. Good sound isolation and flat frequency response (monitor headphones) are basically required.

3. Experiment with mic placement. Small changes make a big difference.

Did you use any sort of blend or was it all wavemap? I am finding that a full wavemap blend is thinning out my tone a bit. I am bringing in about 40% of the wavemap and it's working out nicely.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Did you use any sort of blend or was it all wavemap? I am finding that a full wavemap blend is thinning out my tone a bit. I am bringing in about 40% of the wavemap and it's working out nicely.
Today it was all wavemap. I think I’m going to settle on Character = 1. Not blend. I have a stage monitor but I don’t know how my guitar sounded through the main speakers. Our sound guy told me after the service that he would prefer more “body” to work with. I had the bass rolled off to about 10 o’clock in the TD because I don’t have a HPF on my end and I thought it sounded boomy at 12 o’clock. I should have left it and let him cut the bass as desired.

Of course, everyone says it “sounds great” because 1) It’s church 2) They don’t know what to listen for and 3) All of this is splitting hairs. It does sound great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification