The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Default New D18 Setup

For those of you who own a D-18. How did you find the set-up out of the box? I am really enjoying it but feel the action is a bit high. How many of you had to have a setup done? I hate paying for that but feel I might have to.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaul73 View Post
For those of you who own a D-18. How did you find the set-up out of the box? I am really enjoying it but feel the action is a bit high. How many of you had to have a setup done? I hate paying for that but feel I might have to.

The setup has been “high” out of the box on every new Martin I have owned. Try as they might, you just can’t make everyone happy with the factory setup. I had to have one dialed in by a guitar tech.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
The setup has been “high” out of the box on every new Martin I have owned. Try as they might, you just can’t make everyone happy with the factory setup. I had to have one dialed in by a guitar tech.
Honestly I don't know why they don't just have low action from the factory? Seems like way more people complain about action too high than too low.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:02 AM

You can always just sand down the saddle yourself. Just use sandpaper, turn the saddle every 20 glides or so to keep it even. It isn’t exact, but it works for me.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Honestly I don't know why they don't just have low action from the factory? Seems like way more people complain about action too high than too low.

Much easier to make it lower (take some off) than to as to it to higher it. I always prefer a higher action on acoustics than electrics.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Not everyone loves low action, especially on a model that's more likely to be chosen for volume and played w/a flatpick. Additionally it's easier (&/or cheaper) to lower high action than it is to raise low action (unless the saddle is shimmed as opposed to replaced).
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Mine was perfect new. Haven't touched it in 2 years.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I can't vouch for this as true, and can't really remember where I heard it but the line was that Martin tends to run a bit high out of the box for the flatpicker who likes that bit of distance...and, as stated, adjusting lower is easier than going higher. I would think of this would being more valid for the dreads but found myself getting the action lowered on a 000-15M, too.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Default D18

I purchased a D-18 several months ago and the action was perfect.
But..........my 'perfect' may not be your perfect. VERY SUBJECTIVE.
imho
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM

I find more often than not with Martin that the action at the nut is usually a smidge high which has a big effect on playability. I typically have not had to lower the saddle on a new Martin.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

i have no experience with guitar setup, but if it is as easy as sanding the saddle a bit, I might have a go at it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
i have no experience with guitar setup, but if it is as easy as sanding the saddle a bit, I might have a go at it.
You typically want to take material off the bottom, which should be flat; as opposed to the top, which is contoured to accommodate fingerboard radius and string travel, as well as compensated for intonation.
The finished result should be dead flat too, or it'll compromise your guitar's tone.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Not everyone loves low action, especially on a model that's more likely to be chosen for volume and played w/a flatpick. Additionally it's easier (&/or cheaper) to lower high action than it is to raise low action (unless the saddle is shimmed as opposed to replaced).

Exactly. I would rather have it come to me “high”, so it can be adjusted to my taste, than too low. I have absolutely no problem with this. Besides, my taste isn’t everyone else’s taste. Martin can’t cater, with respect to setup height, to everyone and why should they?

Nope. I am fine with the way Martin sets up its guitars at the factory. If I wanted a low factory setup “out of the box” I would buy a Taylor.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Every new D-18 deserves a trip to an experienced set up person, invariably for nut slot adjustment. Sanding down the saddle to achieve lower action by itself often is a big mistake.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

There's much more to a setup than merely sanding the saddle. Neck-relief, nut slots, then saddle - some or all may need adjustments. If you don't have guitar-tech skills, take it to a guitar tech.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion