The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM

I'm a metal machinist that works primarily with CNC machines. It's correct to say that they're not magic machines; a lot depends on the programmer and the operator. But, assuming that both are skilled, a CNC machine produces results that simply cannot be matched by hand processes. Ever. If you think otherwise, then you just haven't seen a CNC machine in action.

Now, I can't say for sure that what holds for metals holds for wood, so it might be possible that a skilled luthier can do the same thing with a guitar neck that the plek process can. But my guess is that it is very unlikely, even given unlimited time on the luthier's part.

Let me be clear: I say this as a person who absolutely has that feeling that "by hand" is preferable. But the fact is that if you want that guitar neck contoured to near-perfect dimensions, CNC processes will produce a better result than a luthier working by hand, again assuming a good programmer and a skilled operator.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
And presumably a SCGC was "built right," yet they still do plek setups.
SCGC does PLEK for the same reason Martin does. It's incredibly cheap to do so. There is a significant capital outlay obviously, but the equipment pays for itself in labor fairly quickly.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
SCGC does PLEK for the same reason Martin does. It's incredibly cheap to do so. There is a significant capital outlay obviously, but the equipment pays for itself in labor fairly quickly.
Perhaps, but also because it's far more precise than fret-dressing done by hand (see above!).

As an added benefit, the PLEK process reduces injuries for workers. Richard Hoover of SCGC says that using PLEK machines prevent repetitive overuse injuries that occur when fret-dressing is done by hand.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t worry about the plek - just know that if you want your guitar to get an outstandingly good setup, you can send it to SCGC and thats what you’ll get. They will evaluate it, and let you know what their feeling is about what should be done to it.

They are not the cheapest, but I can honestly say the quality of their work and their attention to customer satisfaction is absolutely second to none. Putting your guitar in their hands is the easiest, and possibly best, decision you can make.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM

I`ve handled Three Gibson Les Paul`s that were Plek`ed and they ALL sucked..You could rip your fingers open on the edges....Very Poor Quality Control!!!.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 PM

I have 2 Martin's that are Plek'd. My results were just the opposite.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstile View Post
Perhaps, but also because it's far more precise than fret-dressing done by hand (see above!).

As an added benefit, the PLEK process reduces injuries for workers. Richard Hoover of SCGC says that using PLEK machines prevent repetitive overuse injuries that occur when fret-dressing is done by hand.
The PLEK certainly has advantages in a high production factory setting, Martin for example.

Beyond that I see two commendable aspects of the PLEK. One is the worker issues you noted. If it prevents repetitive motion injuries for routine work, that is wonderful. The consistency and repeatability for specific clients as Mike noted with TJ Thompson is another. However, that is fairly rare, as I suspect most PLEK setups are not undertaken in that context.

That said, I am equally certain that a good setup man can do at least as well as a PLEK. The first guitar that really changed my view of what a setup could be was a D-18GE setup by Bryan Kimsey. That was about 15 years ago. The other notable "best playing" guitars I own my early Authentics setup by Dave Strunk when he was at Martin, and more recently my Klepper SSD. None of those needed anything after they landed in my hands. I cannot find a single flaw in the fretwork, relief, or nut setup. If anyone wanted to change the action height all that is needed is saddle adjustment, which would have to be done with PLEK as well. Neither it nor your favorite repairman can determine action preference.

However, none of that negates the benefits of the PLEK noted above.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 PM

If you want your frets lowered, get it pleked. A crown and polish or milling of the frets has the same effect. Personally, I don't care for the plek process.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 AM

Where a Plek really shines is in production because with proper training a production worker just runs the guitars through the Plek machine all day long without having to make any real judgment calls. Once Plekked, the guitar is handed off to someone to crown and polish the frets and then it goes to final assembly/setup. Makes the build process require less skill and time to complete.

In the repair world a skilled Luthier has the experience and knowledge to make the correct judgment calls as to what is required for each individual guitar.
  • Skilled Luthier with a Plek? - Yes
  • Skilled Luthier without a Plek? - Yes
  • Poorly skilled Luthier/Tech with a Plek? - No,very bad idea
  • A manufacturer of new guitars working on their old guitars? - IDK, maybe
I'm just guessing that there just might be a highly recommended Luthier or 3 in Memphis that could do an excellent job on your guitar, and as a plus, you would not have to pay any shipping. Being able to talk to the Luthier in person that works on your guitar is certainly a major plus.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 AM

I can't respond to the contradictory anecdotal statements. Only to my personal experience. I have several guitars that are factory PLEKed and the are among the best playing guitars I've ever owned. I see the process as very successful. Unfortunately, so far, there just isn't a PLEK machine available everywhere for players to sample locally. If I had a guitar that needed a good set up (which includes more than what a PLEK machine does) I would take it to the PLEK shop for their treatment. Heck, even Sweetwater has a PLEK machine and you can have any guitar purchased from them PLEKed before delivery.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 02-20-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM

Don't intend to come across as snarky but isn't it funny that people pay stunning amounts to get a 'truly hand crafted' guitar and then rave about a machine that finishes the frets. People will never cease to amaze me.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
Don't intend to come across as snarky but isn't it funny that people pay stunning amounts to get a 'truly hand crafted' guitar and then rave about a machine that finishes the frets. People will never cease to amaze me.
I understand what you mean, but "hand-crafted frets" may or may not be the best they can be, even on a costly instrument. And, the frets are part of the physical interface between player and guitar. No about of care on the body of a guitar, its woods, its bracing, its finish, can compensate for a mediocre fretboard. No amount of "tone" will get me to play a guitar with poor fretwork.

Further, once you have paid a lot of money for guitar, what's another $200 for a PLEK? That's another 10 percent on a $2000 guitar, money well spent for me. I had a $600 guitar PLEK'ed for $200. That's 33 percent! But the guitar felt so much better in the hand afterwards.

I have had four guitars PLEK'd. In EVERY case, even when I thought the guitar played well to begin with, it made a marked improvement in the feel of the guitar. Clearly, handwork was the standard for 70 years, and players found it satisfactory. But can handwork equal a CNC machine in this case? Not likely. Now it may be that players can't distinguish excellent handwork on frets from CNC, but the PLEK delivers every time.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM

I had this very work done at SCGC in Santa Cruz last Sept. and the guitar came back as perfect as humanly possible. Their workmanship is second to none, the setup was done to my specs as requested along with a neck reset and the work was impeccable!!! Great place to deal with and wonderful folks!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I have had four guitars PLEK'd. In EVERY case, even when I thought the guitar played well to begin with, it made a marked improvement in the feel of the guitar. Clearly, handwork was the standard for 70 years, and players found it satisfactory. But can handwork equal a CNC machine in this case? Not likely. Now it may be that players can't distinguish excellent handwork on frets from CNC, but the PLEK delivers every time.
Who did the work for you? Are they local or do you have to ship the guitar?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Who did the work for you? Are they local or do you have to ship the guitar?
TJ Thompson. He's local to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion