The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for posting the video, song!

Well after that high-praise review, orders and wait times are going to go up. Two points of Tony’s comments that I found particularly interesting.

First, I assume that he has tried out numerous composite guitars over time, yet regarding resonance, he says that the X20 is the first he has tried that resonated so nicely through the back to actually feel it.

Second, the offset soundhole/port is a great beer...errr...beard holder.

Emerald should be very happy with this review. I’ve been a fanboy for a long time. Can’t wait to get my X20 in May.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 PM

And I can't wait to get my used green X20 six string (en route now from a fellow AGF'er). It will arrive here next week while we are in Phoenix. I will pick it up on March 01. But I should be able to play an X20 next week at "Carbonfest Phoenix".

Yeah, that will make me more patient......
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM

I might just have an X20 around here somewhere
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Counting on it K-man -- I'm starting to jones real bad........ Do you have the Hiscox hard case too? If so, I'll bring my X20-12 in a gig bag.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Nice review! Who knew Tony has been following this forum?
He may be watching us right now.

Last edited by Song; 02-17-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: comedy
Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm starting to jones real bad..
Maybe you should sit outside and not too close to others.. Actually my favorite models of late are named Jones so I guess I already have it... 3 sisters here and one non related at the NAMM show.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Good review, I wonder what he does with the guitars after he reviews them?
I hope he ships it straight back to Ireland- cuz that's MY guitar!

I am new to the forum and first I really want to thank all of you for hours of enjoyable reading- both the advice and the humor.

At the risk of exposing myself as completely undeserving (which I am), I'll admit that I am retired and just taking up the guitar. That's a nice way of saying that I play really badly. As I often do when I get interested in something, I spent more time reading about guitars than actually practicing mine. Anyway, I have an irrational affection for Ireland and so it didn't take long for me to start lusting after guitars from George Lowden and Avalon and McIlroy, dreaming of being some sort of a collector of fine wood guitars.

In the meantime, my fine wood Larrivee L-09 which I had had laying around for a number of years had to go to the guitar doctor to repair the symptoms of my neglect. (See, I told you I was undeserving..) $350 later it looks and sounds great, but in the meantime I had been reading about the advantages of carbon fiber instruments- and lo and behold, tucked deep in the wilds of County Donegal, I find Emerald guitars. After much reading (most of it here) and listening online, I decided I had to have one. My wife said if I would sacrifice some of my golf budget and sell the Larrivee, I could go ahead.

I waited for the January select series to appear and the day it came out, pulled the trigger on one of the X20 cocobolos, only to find it had been bought out right from under me. I decided to settle for an in-stock amber artisan X20, bought it and wrote a short note to Sean, mentioning that I had wanted to buy one of the cocobolo select series, but had missed out. He wrote back immediately to let me know that the guy who bought this X20 had decided he didn't want to wait an extra couple of weeks for the guitar to be reviewed, shipped back to Ireland, cleaned up and sent out. Then he said if I wanted it it was mine, if I was OK with paying the difference between the two guitars. Needless to say, I wrote back immediately and thanked Sean for the opportunity.

Tony had the X20 longer than I hoped, but now things are starting to fall into place. A nice review helps me feel better about a major purchase and the guitar is on its way back to Ireland. Normally, I would say I'd post a review when I get it. But my review wouldn't mean much given my lack of skill and experience. So I'm going to invite three friends over to try the guitar. One is a performing classical guitarist who has some experience with steel string guitars. He is a purist and will be a tough audience for a carbon fiber instrument. The second is a composer and music professor who plays guitar in a local group that plays an eclectic mix of music. The third just retired from the university where I taught and was a Dean of the College of Fine Arts and once upon a time, taught guitar. I'll pass on their thoughts and impressions.

Sorry for the long post- I'm just very stoked about my Emerald X20 Cocobolo!

Cheers.
Craig
Old 02-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkswanderer View Post
I hope he ships it straight back to Ireland- cuz that's MY guitar!

I am new to the forum and first I really want to thank all of you for hours of enjoyable reading- both the advice and the humor.

Sorry for the long post- I'm just very stoked about my Emerald X20 Cocobolo!

Cheers.
Craig
Cheers indeed and congratulations!
Welcome to the party Craig!

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Good story Craig! And a fine Emerald to be buying Lad! Mandatory photos as you must know of course...thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Well, that sure answered my question ! A great story. I suspect you will like playing that X20 so much that you may log off the computer for a while. At least until your fingers recover. LOL Congrats on a beauty. Looking forward to your report and pictures. Oh yeah...and welcome to the Forum!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Guest 928

Link;

Nice to hear from you. I like your decision-making and think you will love the guitar. I appreciate your modesty, and look forward to your friends' judgments.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Craig, welcome aboard! That is a beautiful guitar! AND, it sounds like there may not be many more cocobolo woodies coming from our friends at Emerald.

Many years ago, I checked: there is no prerequisite ability and/or skill level that needs to be demonstrated for any guitar purchase. I sincerely believe, however, that a nice guitar makes you want to practice even more... which, of course, makes you a better player.

PLUS - you have a famous guitar... now you HAVE to get good with it... 'cause you know from the review, it is a truly fine instrument.

---------

As far as the "belly rumble" from the X20: I spoke about that on this very forum a while back. Oh, and the playing/sound experience with that unique soundhole. Not to mention: the comfort (oh, I mentioned it). Yep, a fine guitar.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 PM

And the guitar might remember some of what was played on it... so that should help some ...I try to get great players to play my guitars hoping they remember a few things for me.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
And I can't wait to get my used green X20 six string (en route now from a fellow AGF'er). It will arrive here next week while we are in Phoenix. I will pick it up on March 01. But I should be able to play an X20 next week at "Carbonfest Phoenix".

Yeah, that will make me more patient......
Earl-sorry I didn’t make up my mind to sell sooner! There really was no way to get it to you in time for your trip, but think how much sweeter coming home will be
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Craig,
Welcome and congrats on a fine guitar. I just checked yesterday at a music store near the hotel I was in(well stocked with Rainsong!) and proved again that they don’t have a musical ability “test” before test driving. They even said that I could buy one if I wanted!
Enjoy the new guitar, looks awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber