The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Default update on my electric guitar search

Good morning. First let me begin with "I have not purchased this guitar". Still looking, I tried some semi hollow body and a couple solid bodies when the sales person directed me toward this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

It was comfortable to hold and played nice, love the price but what caught me was the switch that transfer the PU's from Single Coil to Humbuckers. Price isn't bad either. Thoughts?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Good morning. First let me begin with "I have not purchased this guitar". Still looking, I tried some semi hollow body and a couple solid bodies when the sales person directed me toward this:

It was comfortable to hold and played nice, love the price but what caught me was the switch that transfer the PU's from Single Coil to Humbuckers. Price isn't bad either. Thoughts?

Very nice guitar for the price. Carved flamed maple top, alnico pickups with coil splitting, string through body. Those same features on an Epiphone LP will cost you about $100 more.

Now make sure you’re comfortable with those extra jumbo frets. Coming from acoustic to those frets requires a completely different touch and it’s easy to sharpen notes if you press a bit too hard as you would with an acoustic.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Very nice guitar for the price. Carved flamed maple top, alnico pickups with coil splitting, string through body. Those same features on an Epiphone LP will cost you about $100 more.

Now make sure you’re comfortable with those extra jumbo frets. Coming from acoustic to those frets requires a completely different touch and it’s easy to sharpen notes if you press a bit too hard as you would with an acoustic.
Never thought about that. Would it be costly to change them out?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Never thought about that. Would it be costly to change them out?

A fret replacement on a $400 guitar would make zero sense. Just play it and see if you’re comfortable with it. Fat frets makes it easier to play fast since they require so little pressure to make the notes ring. If you played it and liked it, then the big frets is a non-issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
when the sales person directed me toward this:
Thoughts?
Keep shopping.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Keep shopping.
Ok, reason?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I love coil-tapping! It's really nice and adds some flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Wanted to second this. I recently picked up a new electric with jumbo frets, and it takes some adjustment. I've been playing acoustic almost exclusively for maybe 7 or 8 years.

I've found that I just have to be intentional about it. I have to stop and think when I pick up my guitar - "keep it light." If I go from really rocking my acoustic to my electric it's the biggest problem.

But after thinking about it for a few seconds, it's pretty easy to make the switch. I just have to be aware of it. I don't think it should stop you from buying the guitar, but of course everyone's experience is different.

I'm not sure what the advantage of jumbo frets is supposed to be, though.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Ok, reason?
There might be a better deal.
These guitars sell for 200 https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...ntage-sunburst
Or maybe they'll give you a tryout period.
I'm keen on getting a guitar to my mancave where I can play it thru my stuff.
It's the best way to know for sure.
There will be others along to make their recommendations. Good luck Marty!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM

The guitar looks nicely made but the 24 jumbo frets makes me think of a guitar designed for heavy metal.
It may also have higher output pickups which tend to sound darker played clean, though the coil splits could make them sound brighter.

I might be wrong, it might be a great all-round guitar.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM

For that price I'd be looking for a used Squire Strat or for a little bit more cash a used Fender Strat.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:

My thought is you've already answered all the important questions. Played well, felt good, etc. I'd prefer it by a long shot over any Squier in that range, or a Mexi Strat. Adjusting to jumbo frets is a minor issue. I wouldn't worry about 24-fret guitars with humbuckers only being for Metal, either ; check this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5kcmui5Eh6k
Old 02-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I suggest taking a really good look at Michael Kelly electric models... they are some REALLY nice instruments with a bunch of useful features... for incredibly low prices! My local store here in Corvallis, Or., carries a bunch of them...

Between the newer Michael Kelly electrics and the Reverend line, I would not even consider Gibson or Fender, were I in the market for a new electric...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey Marty,

In the past I’ve owned several Schecters. Very good for the price. Fit and finish on par with the more mainstream brands higher end. Comfortable, good quality electronics, and of the three that I owned, I think two had coil splitting. The cavities were lined, and they were quiet and played extremely well. The necks (as best as I remember) were very nice, and I honestly can’t think of anything I didn’t like about them. I never upgraded any of the parts, nor did I feel a need to. Mine were bought about ten years ago, and I bought them for specific reasons (two bands I was playing in at the time). Other than the name on the headstock; ie: not Gibson or Fender, I thought and still think for the money they are tough to beat.

Now the ones I purchased were all around 800.00 back then. So I have no idea if they are the same, or even if they are manufactured by the same people.
I only sold them because I no longer had a need for them.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
There might be a better deal.
These guitars sell for 200 https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...ntage-sunburst
Or maybe they'll give you a tryout period.
I'm keen on getting a guitar to my mancave where I can play it thru my stuff.
It's the best way to know for sure.
There will be others along to make their recommendations. Good luck Marty!
True. Definitely will give whatever I buy a try out at home first
Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I suggest taking a really good look at Michael Kelly electric models... they are some REALLY nice instruments with a bunch of useful features... for incredibly low prices! My local store here in Corvallis, Or., carries a bunch of them...

Between the newer Michael Kelly electrics and the Reverend line, I would not even consider Gibson or Fender, were I in the market for a new electric...
Will do. Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars