The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default V-Class strategic launch

If the new V-Class bracing system is as beneficial–and disruptive–as Taylor claims, it would seem to place all their current X-brace models in a kind of purgatory, immediately diminishing their appeal, sales, and, yes, resale value. Who would want to shell out bucks for a new Taylor that's technologically 'old' and arguably inferior?

Rather than a very limited rollout, perhaps they should have thoroughly validated the concept with customers–and then done a more extensive rollout, with models available throughout the line and at different price points.

That way people could actually buy a V-Class rather than not buy an X-brace. Or buy another brand.

I wonder if Taylor's overall sales will suffer in the short-to-medium term?
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM

I doubt it, as the majority of buyers aren't members of online forums and are probably blissfully unaware of all the discussions going on right now.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
If the new V-Class bracing system is as beneficial–and disruptive–as Taylor claims, it would seem to place all their current X-brace models in a kind of purgatory, immediately diminishing their appeal, sales, and, yes, resale value. Who would want to shell out bucks for a new Taylor that's technologically 'old' and arguably inferior?

Rather than a very limited rollout, perhaps they should have thoroughly validated the concept with customers–and then done a more extensive rollout, with models available throughout the line and at different price points.

That way people could actually buy a V-Class rather than not buy an X-brace. Or buy another brand.

I wonder if Taylor's overall sales will suffer in the short-to-medium term?

I doubt out. Most buyers are not guitar aficionados. They are lured to Taylor for many reasons. Taylor's marketing over the past few decades is second to none. Taylor has built a brand and a lot of musicians put trust in brands over their own ears. Then you have those who buy Taylor guitars because they genuinely love what they are above the competition. Either way, I don't think V-Class bracing will mean that much to most buyers. AGF members have reported that these guitars still sound like Taylor guitars.

Taylor will continue to be the leading manufacturer (in sells volume) of acoustic guitars in the US and with all their lineup 300 series up converting to V-Class bracing other builders will absolutely follow with some new bracing changes. They will do it to try and make their product seem more appealing to would be Taylor buyers and simply copy the leader.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 AM

This whole "it might hurt resale value" and "what is Taylor doing?" type of stuff is relegated mostly to old guys on forums.

Nothing to see here folks that hasn't already been beaten to death.
G7th Capos
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Taylor markets aggressively and effectively–and not just to old farts who frequent the AGF. I think A LOT of potential Taylor customers will hear about V-Class. And it will affect how they think about a Taylor purchase.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

1) yay....yet another thread about this topic

2) Taylor does not want to protect used sales. They compete with used sales of their own guitars. They don't want customers to buy used Taylors. A used Taylor is a competitor to a new Taylor sale.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Resale value is very much a consideration in purchasing a new guitar. So, trust me, Taylor cares about this.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
I doubt it, as the majority of buyers aren't members of online forums and are probably blissfully unaware of all the discussions going on right now.
This. Literally none of the guitar players I know (apart from this forum), has any idea about what's going on with Taylor right now, and that includes some people who play Taylors. I'm pretty confident that TG, and those who oversee their sales/marketing, have considered all the scenarios/potential scenarios of this whole thing, and are being very intentional in their strategy. Only time will tell!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Resale value is very much a consideration in purchasing a new guitar. So, trust me, Taylor cares about this.
Not even remotely

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Taylor has a new bracing pattern? Interesting. When did this happen?
Old 02-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

This reminds me of when Martin upgraded their standard D-18 guitars. The people in the know didn't want to buy the guitars left over from the previous years. I bet the guitar store owners gave a sigh of relief when one of their left over not sold yet new D-18s were finally sold.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Default V Bracing

Taylor will have to prove that the V bracing is such an improvement that it makes everything else obsolete.

If it does, then yes, they'll have to worry about cannibalizing sales from other models not yet redesigned to include the V Bracing.

So far, it remains to be seen. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM

From reading around on the forums and testing the V-class myself, it seems like the current consensus is that the X-brace isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Personally I think that in 3-5 years Taylor will have a new "high-end" V-class design, as their upper end guitars have always had their own bracing patterns in the past decade (CV bracing and Advanced Performance).
Old 02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Taylor will continue to be the leading manufacturer (in sales volume) of acoustic guitars in the US and with all their lineup 300 series up converting to V-Class bracing other builders will absolutely follow with some new bracing changes. They will do it to try and make their product seem more appealing to would be Taylor buyers and simply copy the leader.
I don't think this will happen at all. Taylor has always been more progressive with experimentation (i.e. different tonewoods, electronics, streaked ebony, neck attachment, and now V-bracing). It's not really shocking when they do something like this; in fact, it's almost expected. Martin & Gibson on the other hand, continue to be successful driving in the traditional lane, and it would be just short of heresy for them to make a change this dramatic. Likewise, the mid-sized builders and small independent Luthiers have their followers who buy their guitars for just what they are, so I can't see them making such a drastic change either...but who knows?

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Gryphon Stringed Instruments seems to be on board with the design:

Quote:
As good as the V-Class guitars sound, and they sound very good, we are perhaps more impressed with the engineering that Andy Powers has put into them. Frank Ford and Richard Johnston have been restoring and repairing guitars for almost 50 years and in that time they have seen just about every style of bracing imaginable. Tone is very important, of course, but structural stability is even more vital. The V brace delivers both.
Full text here at Gryphon's site:
https://www.gryphonstrings.com/taylor-v-class-bracing/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion