The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
funkmonkey#9:

Are you still planning on using the Soundcraft EFX mixer in your signal chain?
I don't have to if it's unnecessary. I sparsely use the effects it has on board but only because I don't generally use anything and it's there so I noodle with some light reverb. But obviously could get that elsewhere.

The only reason I would have it around or would add it is if someone needed to jump in the mix and I had it as a backup.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I suggest you consider getting a Tonedexter and use it with your mixer.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 PM

i ave both the felix and the tonedexter. I find the
felix more versatile . But the td is certainly
cheaper. I saw a used one on reverb. com the other day.
The felix has two channels and can be used
to blend a dual source system. The Td makes
images of your guitar. uses your pickup and an
external mic. then makes your pickup sound like
the mic. Almost. very close anyway. so when
you play live it will sound nice like a mic.
Grace design also makes the alix and the bix.
which are less expensive single channel units.
there are too many decent preamps out there to spin your head.. ha.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM

That sounds like another great choice, I will look those up.

Just for clarification, The Rane Ap-13 is designed for dual channel with the TRS input. But will it take a piezo pickup only, 1/4" balanced input also? It appears the manual says it will but don't see where unless it is on the rear.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk#9 View Post
That sounds like another great choice, I will look those up.

Just for clarification, The Rane Ap-13 is designed for dual channel with the TRS input. But will it take a piezo pickup only, 1/4" balanced input also? It appears the manual says it will but don't see where unless it is on the rear.
Other than the original Taylor ES System, I am not aware of any acoustic guitar pickup that generates a balanced output signal when exiting the guitar.

But, assuming there is such a thing, a balanced signal from a TRS cable could simply be plugged into the Rane AP 13 and will function if you turn channel 2 "off" and just use channel 1. By "off" I mean turn its input and output controls to zero. You could also use both channels, provided you engage the phase reverse control on one channel relative to the other, and lower the output volume accordingly. This later choice could be useful if you were connecting a stereo reverb unit in the effects loop.

Assuming your pickup signal is unbalanced, you would be using a TS cable from the guitar. That will work just fine into the TRS jack on the front of the AP13.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Other than the original Taylor ES System, I am not aware of any acoustic guitar pickup that generates a balanced output signal when exiting the guitar.

But, assuming there is such a thing, a balanced signal from a TRS cable could simply be plugged into the Rane AP 13 and will function if you turn channel 2 "off" and just use channel 1. By "off" I mean turn its input and output controls to zero. You could also use both channels, provided you engage the phase reverse control on one channel relative to the other, and lower the output volume accordingly. This later choice could be useful if you were connecting a stereo reverb unit in the effects loop.

Assuming your pickup signal is unbalanced, you would be using a TS cable from the guitar. That will work just fine into the TRS jack on the front of the AP13.
Thanks, I did mean unbalanced. And I would also turn the 2nd source inputs and outputs to "0" when using just one source piezo or mic.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 PM

Okay folks just finalizing my signal chain. I got a Rane Ap-13 from a generous member and have been reading over the various manuals to get the lay of the land.
I have a soundcraft mixer but am wondering if I need it currently.

So if I have a McIntyre Feather High Impedance Pickup, I will go a 1/4" cable into the Rane-13 set to piezo and mono out, XLR output to XLR of Hafler Amp, out to Daedalus Speaker.
Or I can Put the mixer in between the Rane and Hafler amp?

Secondarily when I have used my soundhole Seymour Duncan pickup I never get any readings on the Hafler or the Mixer showing signal, when i try to get the get a good signal before it gets too hot. Just wondering if I am missing a step. I have gain on channel about 12 o'clock, fader on unity gain, output level about 1 o'clock and main output on unity gain. Hafler amp can be turned most of the way up.

Appreciate any further clarification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification