The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Passive High Pass Filter?

My proposed setup is a Taylor 814ce (ES-2), QSC K8 powered speaker, TC Helicon Perform VG. I'm getting a lot of "boominess". I don't want to reduce the bass using the guitar EQ, as that thins it out. I'd rather leave the guitar EQ relatively flat and just remove the very low-end.

Ideally there would be such a thing as a 1/4" plug with a resistor or something that could remove the mud without needing to bring extra gear, cables, or requiring power. Any ideas for a simple solution?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Maybe I should just do something like this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AlignEQ
Old 02-17-2018, 07:47 PM

My understanding (which is limited) is that passive high pass filters are relatively easy to build, it's just a capacitor and a resister, right? but that their cutoff frequency is affected by the impedance of what comes before or after them. So they are sort of custom jobs. If you were plugging them into different things you'd get a different, somewhat unpredictable filter every time.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post

Yes. If the TC Helicon Perform VG does not provide EQ for the guitar, you should look into an EQ pedal or a preamp/DI unit with good EQ and a HPF. I've never used that new one from Baggs, but it looks like it would do the job. There are lots of choices out there. Ideally, the best thing would be something with parametric or semi-parametric EQ controls, and a HPF that lets you set the shelving frequency wherever you like within a range, but the EQ and HPF settings on the Baggs look like they're more or less the usual suspects for acoustic guitar. And there's a notch filter in case your boominess is more about the beginnings of low-end feedback than just the boominess of the guitar itself. You'll be able to notch out the resonant frequencies.

Louis
Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Boughton Audio makes one. Quite affordable too.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-17-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 AM

The QSC K8 has a built-in HPF set at 100Hz. To engage it, put the LF switch into EXT SUB position.
That's the first version of the QSC K8, there must be a similar feature in K8.2
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
The QSC K8 has a built-in HPF set at 100Hz. To engage it, put the LF switch into EXT SUB position.
That's the first version of the QSC K8, there must be a similar feature in K8.2
Wow, great thinking!!! Mine is the original.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions so far. You all have been a great help.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track, but just another option, if you're looking for a good sweepable high pass filter, the F-deck HPF-pre is a good, cheap (less than $100) solution. They get used by a bass players a lot, I use one on upright sometimes, but are suitable for any instrument. They have high impedance so make a great passive piezo pickup buffer as well.

Here's the website:https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/hpf-pre
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Passive High Pass Filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post

There are several things I don’t like about that box. One, you need an external power supply. Two, there is no XLR output. Three aside from the notch filter, none of the EQ frequencies are sweepable.

I use a Tech21NYC Q/Strip. It has a high pass filter (set at 40Hz). It has a gentle low pass filter. It has two sweepable mids. The harder you cut or boost a frequency, the sharper the Q (just like an 80s or 90s recording console). It’s all analog and the FET transistors they use sound every bit as good as tubes if you overdrive it. It’s wonderfully clean if you don’t. It also functions as a directbox and is powerable either by battery or phantom power. It sips power if you use the battery. The LED will gradually dim over months (years) of use, and it continues to sound great even when the LED is very dim. It has very useful pad and gain switches. It impedance matches and has plenty of variable gain for passive pickups. I can dial in wonderful sound with this box no matter how good or bad the amp or PA.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification