The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Default A Couple "New" Mandos

Just got this old Regal resonator mandolin from a friend:

And this vintage banjolin:

both are from the 30's.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM

Sweet! I think they both sound great. I don't think the resonator would be too out of place in a big bluegrass jam. I'm always on the lookout for a good banjo mandolin but I have zero handyman skills and most of the ones I see need a lot of work.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post
Sweet! I think they both sound great. I don't think the resonator would be too out of place in a big bluegrass jam. I'm always on the lookout for a good banjo mandolin but I have zero handyman skills and most of the ones I see need a lot of work.
I've brought them both to my local BG jams and they were pretty well received. But I'm notorious for bringing octave fiddles, 5 string violas, octave mandolins, a mandocello or archtop guitar to these jams, too.

The banjolin did need a little work - I had to shim the neck and redrill the pot and dowel to match and fit a new bridge. Using light Newtone strings (.008 - .030) on both. On the resonator I had to modify the spider to move it about 1/4" toward the tail as the intonation was way off (even though the action was good). And of course fit the new tailpiece.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments