The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
The link below may not appeal to or change your opinion, but I offer it for your consideration.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...ry.html#page=1
Hey seannx, it was your link I read. And its not a conclusion, its an opinion, (your own words in the post to the link). If I came away with a different understanding of the article I think I'm allowed to. Oh yeah, I couldn't care less, happy FlaggerPhil? Did not know the only way you had to attack me was on a grammatical error. And in conclusion, I really dont care about her or any 90210 dwellers that feel it necessary to give the world their advice on ANY subject.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM

The only way I can see someone objecting to this is if they think a woman only has value insofar as her ability to reproduce, but surely no one actually believes that , right? And even if that were the reasoning behind the objection, since she does have children surely a procedure that increases the odds of her being around to care for them would be a good thing, wouldn't it? I don't know, there's just no understanding some things I suppose.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Without discussing the actual politics, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a decidedly anti-hollywood group with it's own beliefs and it's own "media darlings" that simply oppose anything and everything that hollywood represents to them.

The fact that Ms. Jolie's actions carry the weight of her fame behind them is clearly annoying to this group, and to the media that represents their positions...and to the followers of this particular belief system.

That's my take on this part of the discussion.
You nailed it Larry. 100% correct IMO.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Had skin cancer on my scalp several years ago, successfully treated - doctor told me I'd be prone to it after having gotten a particularly bad sunburn about 25 years prior...

Don't think I'll be cutting my head off any time soon...
Old 03-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Hey seannx, it was your link I read. And its not a conclusion, its an opinion, (your own words in the post to the link). If I came away with a different understanding of the article I think I'm allowed to. Oh yeah, I couldn't care less, happy FlaggerPhil? Did not know the only way you had to attack me was on a grammatical error. And in conclusion, I really dont care about her or any 90210 dwellers that feel it necessary to give the world their advice on ANY subject.
Thanks for your clarification. Your last sentence says it all, and explains your understanding and response to the article.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Had skin cancer on my scalp several years ago, successfully treated - doctor told me I'd be prone to it after having gotten a particularly bad sunburn about 25 years prior...

Don't think I'll be cutting my head off any time soon...
Well, last time I checked, removing one's head results in death. Not so with the case in discussion. I don't even have a really strong opinion either way like the OP does here and the OP of the other thread (which this thread was obviously a reaction to) does, but I find it astounding that people think analogies like this make any sense.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM

I, sadly, know quite a bit about this subject. Several years ago, my wife's sister went through a nasty bout with breast cancer. She made it through, but it was ugly. About a year and a half ago, she began to have more issues and the doctors recommended getting some genetic testing, given her relatively young age and the severity of the cancer.

It was found she carried the BRCA1 gene. The docs recommended her sisters be checked for the gene. My wife and her other sister were tested - my sister in law was negative, but my wife was found positive.

We began a year long (and not over yet) process of genetic counseling, education, lots of meetings with doctors, and surgeries.

The statistics have been cited in this thread. They're terrifying. Probabilities like 80 or 90% for developing cancers would be VERY terrifying to anyone, I would bet. And I suspect most folks would pretty much do whatever they thought would reduce the odds.

We made a point to ask all the docs we met with to offer up what advice they'd give to their daughters if they were diagnosed. The consensus is they'd recommend ovaries/fallopian tubes removed by 35 years of age and double mastectomies before that.

My wife was lucky. She had her ovaries and tubes removed about a year ago and a double mastectomy last July. We had our fingers crossed the whole time and were crazy relieved that they found no cancers and she beat the odds. She's increased the probability she'll live a nice long life enjoying her own life, our life together, and our kids and grandchildren.

In my mind, that's a lot to live for and, if I was in a similar situation, I would do all I could to better the odds I would live long enough to have all those experiences.

As my wife was going through this, the genetics counselors recommending our daughters be tested. Our oldest came back negative, but our 20 year old was positive. She's joined support groups and had lots of meetings with counselors and doctors herself, and will have to decide how she wants to balance her risks. I can't begin to express how gut wrenching it is to watch your daughter have to contend with all this.

That's my story. I don't care if Angelina Jolie is a "Hollywood" actress. To me she just seems like a woman that had to face some scary, and life altering medical decisions and had enough grace to come out the other side hoping to educate others about the risks and the choices.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-25-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I am completely confounded how this could be even remotely controversial.
Spot on jmcdonough 120

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdonough120 View Post
I, sadly, know quite a bit about this subject. Several years ago, my wife's sister went through a nasty bout with breast cancer. She made it through, but it was ugly. About a year and a half ago, she began to have more issues and the doctors recommended getting some genetic testing, given her relatively young age and the severity of the cancer.

It was found she carried the BRCA1 gene. The docs recommended her sisters be checked for the gene. My wife and her other sister were tested - my sister in law was negative, but my wife was found positive.

We began a year long (and not over yet) process of genetic counseling, education, lots of meetings with doctors, and surgeries.

The statistics have been cited in this thread. They're terrifying. Probabilities like 80 or 90% for developing cancers would be VERY terrifying to anyone, I would bet. And I suspect most folks would pretty much do whatever they thought would reduce the odds.

We made a point to ask all the docs we met with to offer up what advice they'd give to their daughters if they were diagnosed. The consensus is they'd recommend ovaries/fallopian tubes removed by 35 years of age and double mastectomies before that.

My wife was lucky. She had her ovaries and tubes removed about a year ago and a double mastectomy last July. We had our fingers crossed the whole time and were crazy relieved that they found no cancers and she beat the odds. She's increased the probability she'll live a nice long life enjoying her own life, our life together, and our kids and grandchildren.

In my mind, that's a lot to live for and, if I was in a similar situation, I would do all I could to better the odds I would live long enough to have all those experiences.

As my wife was going through this, the genetics counselors recommending our daughters be tested. Our oldest came back negative, but our 20 year old was positive. She's joined support groups and had lots of meetings with counselors and doctors herself, and will have to decide how she wants to balance her risks. I can't begin to express how gut wrenching it is to watch your daughter have to contend with all this.

That's my story. I don't care if Angelina Jolie is a "Hollywood" actress. To me she just seems like a woman that had to face some scary, and life altering medical decisions and had enough grace to come out the other side hoping to educate others about the risks and the choices.

Congratulations to you and your wife for being survivors, and thank you for sharing your life experience in this fashion.

I can only wish the best for you, your wife, and your daughters, especially the 20 y.o. who now is also facing some tough choices.

I have great certainty, based on your post, that your daughter will receive the best family-help and the best professional advice to make the best choice for her.

I won't invoke any deity for which I have no belief, but I will say "bless you"...even if you didn't sneeze.

The one sad thing that remains for me, upon hearing this difficult and yet beautiful story, is that I know that the next nay-sayer will appear here shortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am completely confounded how this could be even remotely controversial.
Spot on jmcdonough 120

Yes, I am alternately perpetually-shocked and then never-surprised at what some folks might think or say out-loud with the kind of topic that is at hand.

Seriously.

EDIT: I will add that there have been some seriously GREAT posts on this thread, and some of the words and stories have great meaning to me...and perhaps to others.

Thank you for this....to all.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 03-25-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Moving post jmcdonough120. Thanks for sharing.

My best to you and the women in your family, and in particular your 20-year-old who is facing challenges moving forward. Sounds like you have a brave and close family.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I, sadly, know quite a bit about this subject. ...

Hi JM,

Wow, powerful story! I wish you and your wife and your 20-year-old daughter all the best in dealing with these difficulties. How powerful to hear this kind of story from someone actually going through it.

Thank you!
- Glenn
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I wasn't attacking you, I simply said I didn't think you get it. I still don't think you do. It certainly doesn't seem you personally know anyone who has been in the situation being discussed. I'm married to one. Maybe that's why I don't understand your...and others here...position.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Thank you for this post, jm. I will say a little prayer for you and your your daughter and all of your family right after I post this. Your post is powerful in its directness and its clarity.

Thanks to Larry for getting this thread rolling. A very worthwhile exploration, with many terrific contributions. Your perspective and thoughts are reliably valuable to me. And I believe your post about tribal dynamics offers a useful way of regarding the anger that some have been discharging.

And now, time to say the prayer I have promised.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
As I peruse this thread (and the other related thread that has been locked), I am saddened and dismayed by the critical tone of some of the posts. If you disagree with the decision Angelina Jolie has made, that is fine. I do not see how your opinion would justify a lack of compassion for her. She has lost many family members to cancer, and has been told that she has a VERY high risk for developing certain cancers. That is a terribly difficult reality to face, and none of the options that are open to her (removing non-essential organs in hopes of prolonging her life, or sitting with the information and taking a more conservative course of treatment, knowing that she might be courting an early death as a result) represent easy choices.

May she live a long, healthy, and happy life. And may all of us who are more fortunate be kind enough to feel compassion for her, and remember her in our prayers. And may we also feel compassion and send prayers to anyone who faces a situation that is equally, or more difficult.

And may we have compassion for ourselves as we see the limitations of our own hearts.

This is worth re-posting on this thread.

Thank you, Rich.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
<<snip>>

I don't even have a really strong opinion either way like the OP does here and the OP of the other thread (which this thread was obviously a reaction to) does, but I find it astounding that people think analogies like this make any sense.

Yes, I was hoping to have a more-positive discussion on this topic, as I was less than comfortable with my observations on that "other" thread. I thought that starting with a positive-post might find us ending up with a more substantive discussion, less fighting, and perhaps even more enlightened commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Thank you for this post, jm. I will say a little prayer for you and your your daughter and all of your family right after I post this. Your post is powerful in its directness and its clarity.

Thanks to Larry for getting this thread rolling. A very worthwhile exploration, with many terrific contributions. Your perspective and thoughts are reliably valuable to me. And I believe your post about tribal dynamics offers a useful way of regarding the anger that some have been discharging.

And now, time to say the prayer I have promised.

Well, again, there have been any number of really great, informative, understanding, and supportive posts here...more than I could have guessed would appear.

Just when I think no one is listening or caring...they are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic