The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Default pricing a Martin OM28V

This is not a "For Sale" post. I am thinking of putting my 2002 VERY LIGHTLY used OM28V up for sale and am wondering what would be a good price. I see these are no longer being made but that there are still some new ones for sale from retailers. There is a very small dot of a scratch on the headstock (from changng strings), also some light "brush strokes" on the pick guard. By holding the guitar to various angles to the light I could just make out a couple of VERY LIGHT scratches beyond the pick guard. I am the original owner, have not used picks.
Pricing: I would love to price it so I could say -- "I have priced it fairly and it is not negotiable." I don't want to price it too low, but also don't want to price it so high that I have to wait 6 months to sell it.
Any thoughts? Thanks! (Yes, I will also ask this question on the Unof. Martin Forum when I am "approved.")
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forum !

I don't know the answer. I'm in Britain anyway, so prices here are much higher.
I'm sure someone else will be along soon and give you an estimate.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

One reference is to look on eBay to see what they sold for.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHarp View Post
(Yes, I will also ask this question on the Unof. Martin Forum when I am "approved.")
Send me a PM with the name you used to apply there. I'll look into it.

On your OM-28V, the last list price was about $4,400. The new OM-28 has many of those features and is competitively priced at $3,800. I personally like the old neck profile and would prefer to buy a used Vintage Series, but the new OM pricing may still hurt you some.

If it were mine to sell, I'd start with an asking price of $2,100 and see what happened.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 PM

There's one selling for $2200 @ Music Go Round in Natick, MA, a used instrument dealer.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM

I sold mine, excellent condition, for $2200, it didn't last a week. Geib case was perfect.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Hey, thanks so much for the help on this!
(By way of brief intro, I'm a regular performer mostly on harmonica at the weekly Jackson Hole Hootenanny which has been going on since 1993. I have a much better guitar than I am a player -- I fell under the influence of the Hoot's many Martin players -- so that even the darn harp player had a nice one! However, my GAS has now moved to rafting gear.)
Thanks, again for the help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion