The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Check out those Yamaha APX with their new A.R.T. Pickup system...you might be pleasantly surprised.
I have one (10 years old) but only a low-end one, $250 in today's money ish. Sounds a bit thin - what are the nicer models like? Do they get good sound despite the small size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Great value and reviews but I need to bar chord on the 12th fret . . . .
I wish I could convince my fingers I need to!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I wish I could convince my fingers I need to!
There's this one song that our band covers that NEEDs chording on the 12th fret
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM

I quite like playing a regular E chord open on the 12th fret (as opposed to on the 0th fret) but barreing that far up always sounds ugly to me... probably my playing more than anything though!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

If you want this for gigging, and like the electric feel, why not look at the Taylor Ts?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 AM

Cool Playing more acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Great value and reviews but I need to bar chord on the 12th fret . . . .
Well, I understand, playing electric myself, but you could look for a cutaway model, or play the same chord at a lower fret using a different chord shape or drop down one or two keys. My Martin 000C Nylon 12-fret cutaway would be perfect, as it comes with either nylon or steel strings, but considerably more expensive...$1000 used.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
If you want this for gigging, and like the electric feel, why not look at the Taylor Ts?
I do love the T series, but I also love the woody tone of an acoustic guitar.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Well, I understand, playing electric myself, but you could look for a cutaway model, or play the same chord at a lower fret using a different chord shape or drop down one or two keys. My Martin 000C Nylon 12-fret cutaway would be perfect, as it comes with either nylon or steel strings, but considerably more expensive...$1000 used.

Glen
I usually do not bar chord way up like on the 12th fret and use different shapes to achieve similar tones. However, this particular song that we cover which the guitar player bar chords on the 12th fret does bring out a particular timber and tone that adds to the song.

If the right guitar comes up then I'll be returning/trading my Taylor 414CE.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 AM

BTW, does anybody know whether Larrivee LV-05 is smaller in size compare to 414CE? And, if so, how does LV-05 compare in tone with 414CE?

I have played a few Larrivee and they seem to have tighter tones whereas Taylor has a more lively response.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

The recording king ros mentioned earlier has a 14fret cousin I much prefer personally.

As for the Yamaha apx suggestion it may well suit your needs since that seems to have been the target audience (the electric guitarist going "unplugged") the body is small and thin and the neck feels more like an electric. Most of the money in these is in the electronics and man they are nice mine is the last model and doesn't have the art system but it's got a killer piezo and the art is supposed to be better. The biggest downside to this guitar is the fact that it is so small and thin the acoustic sound is quite and thin, but if your playing plugged in it makes up for its shortcomings in spades. Also it records well because it has such a thin sound I am finding if I Mic it and run the pickup through my di box at the same time I can get some really neat sounds.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 AM

How about a Taylor T5? Very thin and you can play it with acoustic strings into an acoustic amp.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
How about a Taylor T5? Very thin and you can play it with acoustic strings into an acoustic amp.
As mentioned above, every time I strum a T5 unplugged I think of "Ovation" and hope to get an acoustic tone out of it unplugged. I guess you can't have best of both worlds.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Martin 00-15M or 000-15M
Light weight all wood martins.
Yes you would need a pickup but they are not very expensive and Maury's will put one in at the time of order.

I have never played it but the 000-17sm looks like it may be a good one also.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:54 AM

T5's are built to be plugged in and have many sound options.
A Gibson 335 does not sound like anything until you plug in.

T5's are available used in many forums.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM

No need to give up a guitar you like. Learn to hold the guitar like this,

I didnt learn to hold the guitar like this until 2-3 years in, but now that I do its worlds better. Its not only for finger pickers, I'm primarily a strummer and I play like this. I also rest the guitar at an angle where the back is away from my body, similar to how this guy is doing it in the video just a tad bit more pronounced. I do this to increase projection, since the back isn't directly touching any part of my body. By playing this way the guitar body size will never be an issue. Whenever I am teaching a short person how to hold the guitar like this, they usually get a blank look on their face and say.."oh...that makes sense" lol. There's no need to sacrifice the tone of a big body acoustic if that's what you really want. Also look at these kids playing full size classicals, the position works, you just have to get used to it.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone for chiming in with thoughts and advice!

So, I ended up with one of the smaller guitars on the market with a fantastic tone and playability.

Taylor GS Mini Limited Edition with Ebony board, Mahogany neck, Spruce top and Rosewood sides and back:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion