The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Default Value of My Martin 00-18G

I may want to trade in or sell my mid-late 50's Martin 00-18G nylon string "folk/classical" guitar. It is in what I call "average to good " condition, action is set fairly low for flamenco but no excessive buzzing. Neck may need some adjustment of truss rod. There is a small crack in rear side of body and typical wear and dings. Asking prices on Ebay, etc., vary wildly. I would guess that a reasonable current market asking price would be $1000 and maybe
maybe $500 as dealer trade-in. Opinions?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

You have a truss rod in an 18G? Are you sure? Neck reset will be $350 to $600. Has a crack? Probably not worth $1000 in a private sale. Maybe $750 give it take a bit if someone is willing to spend the money to get it right. OHSC will help. Does it need fret work? How are machine heads? Those things will also make a difference?

YouTube Site
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Are you familiar with the 18G? There is a tress rod. Frets seem OK, fretboard seems to have a slight reverse/downward curve. Machine heads work reasonably well. Asking prices on Ebay, Craig's List and online shops for average condition 18G's are from $900 to $1100. Excellent condition 18G's go for as much as $2500+. Back in the day, 57 years ago, the 18G was not as highly regarded as they are today. Actually plays flamenco and folk nicely as is. Listen to some examples on You Tube.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

I am a bit familiar with the 18G and have listened to some of the examples on YouTube. Here's one I thought demonstrated the 18G reasonably well (song begins at :46). I just was not aware these old Martins had truss rods in the neck. Live and learn as they say.

I think an 18G in great shape with an OHSC is worth around $1500 in a good market. As some have pointed out on this and over on the Martin "Classical Gas" forum, the market seems a bit soft right now, so even a good one might not sell for that. With the crack and other potential issues (especially the possibility of a neck reset), I do not think yours will sell for that price. Good luck with your sale or trade.

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 05-08-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Thanks CCF for the info, it looks like it has a truss rod but I have been wrong before.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoLVR View Post
Thanks CCF for the info, it looks like it has a truss rod but I have been wrong before.
If you are talking about an adjustable truss rod, I think those came along in Martin guitars sometime around 1985. I looked inside my 18G (1961 model) and could not find any evidence of an adjustable truss rod. Perhaps there is some kind reinforcement inside the neck, I don't know about that.

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 05-09-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Hello,
As Mike Halloran in the UMGF notes,there is a T bar in the 00-18G. I am copying the discussion for your information.
Regards,
Jan

PS- I owned one once.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...9#.VVFgg5N8i-c
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the 00-18G information. Hmmm, Is a T-bar just a non-adjustable metal neck bracing device? If so, how would a guitar neck with T-bar be reset? I notice a slight "reverse relief" in the neck of my 00-18g (slight downward curve) by eyeball sighting.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoLVR View Post
Thanks for the 00-18G information. Hmmm, Is a T-bar just a non-adjustable metal neck bracing device? If so, how would a guitar neck with T-bar be reset? I notice a slight "reverse relief" in the neck of my 00-18g (slight downward curve) by eyeball sighting.
Yes, the T-bar is non-adjustable. Some good info on Martin neck reinforcement over the years can be found here:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Hist...artinrods.html

Not sure what you're describing with the neck on your Martin. A small amount of relief is desirable for nylon guitars to accommodate the vibrating string around the center of the neck. What is usually meant by relief is that when viewed from the side, the nut and saddle are ever so slightly higher than the area around the 7th fret. If you look from the side and press the low E string to the first fret with your left hand (or a capo) and to the 12th fret with your right hand, you should see a small gap around the the 7th fret. Reverse relief would mean that when you fret the 1st and 12th fret, the string touches the 7th fret. If this was the case, the bass strings would likely be buzzing against the middle frets when playing in lower positions.

The acceptable amount of relief really depends on the player, strings, etc. Again, it's usually measured at or around the 7th fret when fretting at the first and 12th frets. A gap of around 1 mm or 3/64" is probably a reasonable average value. Much more and the neck may be considered bowed by some. Much less and you will likely start to get buzzing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical