The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Default Classical guitar anyone?

I can't help but notice that there is very little about actual classical guitar playing or pieces in this forum. It's either cross-over related or a recommendation for a classical guitar.
Here is one that interested me about technique: a student guessed that vibrato could only happen on fretted strings. Backing up a few months, I had previously talked with my teacher about this very issue. His response showed that he listened...he said no, it is possible.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I can't help but notice that there is very little about actual classical guitar playing or pieces in this forum.
Yep, pretty sparse. The Classical Guitar Forum is a little better, and Delcamp is a lot better.

Vibrato on open strings? I'd rather not resort to contorting the guitar/neck and just play a fretted note, preferably around the 5th fret or higher.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I can't help but notice that there is very little about actual classical guitar playing or pieces in this forum. It's either cross-over related or a recommendation for a classical guitar.
I'm not sure I agree. There are quite a few threads of people posting and discussing specific pieces, pedagogy and traditional classical guitar subjects, perhaps 1/3 with a quick scan although I didn't count and analyze. Many are videos inviting discussion. There are also other forums on the Web more concentrated on classical guitar, so one site will not serve all interests.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM

Vibrato can simulated by moving an open hand in front of the sound hole or moving the whole guitar. Don't have to bend anything.
Here is a video of Marek Pasieczny using simulated vibrato.
I have been using the open hand method for some of my ending chords. It looks a little unusual but it adds a very nice quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_an...RK5VWqXYoxaB2g
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Vibrato can simulated by moving an open hand in front of the sound hole or moving the whole guitar. Don't have to bend anything.
Exactly so, though one need not do it with Liberace-style animated/exaggerated movements.

Feel free to discuss any aspect of classical performance you like: there are folks here sufficiently trained to respond.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Here is a video of Marek Pasieczny using simulated vibrato.
I have been using the open hand method for some of my ending chords. It looks a little unusual but it adds a very nice quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_an...RK5VWqXYoxaB2g
omg, that vibrato did not work for me. very odd piece. marek is obviously talented.

still, why?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
omg, that vibrato did not work for me. very odd piece. marek is obviously talented.

still, why?
If I tried that, even if it sounded good the laughter of anyone watching would drown out the "vibrato". (smile)

Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM

Marek is quite talented and also very animated. As for me, I use the open hand method sometimes but in a much more subdued way. The technique takes some practice to amplify the effect. It does work well on some chords and others not as much but it is available and can add to a suitable piece.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
Old 05-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Marek is quite talented and also very animated.
Agreed. The musical performance is technically and musically quite good, but even in the most powerful of orchestral musics, I haven't seen the performers react in quite so florid a fashion. A bit less could possibly improve the quality of his musical performance.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 PM

I try to be open-minded regarding playing style but visually this was to distracting for me. I tried to listen to it without looking, which didn't work either. Oh well, I still consider it growth since I was exposed to something new.

This is kinda performance art/avant-garde. He is talented. No doubt about that.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I can't help but notice that there is very little about actual classical guitar playing or pieces in this forum.
You need to be on DELCAMP, simple as that.

Be warned - there are some hard-core traditionalists there but, for the most part, people are welcoming and tolerant of those of us coming from a steel-string background.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 AM

The hand in front of the sound hole is a phase shift experience in the ear which is different than pitch bending or gain related vibrato and you can push the strings behind the nut for open string pitch bending and grab the body and neck and rock the guitar back and forth over a 45-90 degree angle for additional phase effects.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
The hand in front of the sound hole is a phase shift experience in the ear which is different than pitch bending or gain related vibrato and you can push the strings behind the nut for open string pitch bending and grab the body and neck and rock the guitar back and forth over a 45-90 degree angle for additional phase effects.
wouldn't those actually be pitch changing and not phase effects?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry, I'm going to sound really picky now but it is important to differentiate between vibrato and tremelo.
Vibrato is a change in the pitch of a note, whilst
Tremelo is a change in the note's volume.
I would therefore suggest that vibrato usually requires the finger to be on the fingerboard manipulating the string in some way (or behind the nut pressing on the string to sharpen it), and that wafting the hand in front of the soundhole is affecting the perceived volume and is as such a tremelo effect.
Or has someone pointed that out already and I missed it?
Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I'm sorry, I'm going to sound really picky now but it is important to differentiate between vibrato and Tremelo.
Vibrato is a change in the pitch of a note, whilst
Tremelo is a change in the note's volume.
I would therefore suggest that vibrato usually requires the finger to be on the fingerboard manipulating the string in some way (or behind the nut pressing on the string to sharpen it), and that wafting the hand in front of the soundhole is affecting the perceived volume and is as such a tremelo effect.
Or has someone pointed that out already and I missed it?
Don’t apologize for making significant technical distinctions. I was about to make the same distinctions you made before I got further down the page and came across your post.

I would add that tremolo also refers to a technique using the ring, middle and index fingers that produces a rapid note repetition as found on pieces like Tárrega’s, Recuerdos de la Alhambra.

I also feel compelled to point out a typographical error: The correct spelling is tremolo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical