The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 AM

Default NGD - Gewa Classica Natura

I jumped the trigger on this guitar online a few days ago. It's all-solid and it was less then $300 so I figured, why not. I needed an upgrade anyway.

It has a solid spruce top with solid mahogany back and sides. It sounds incredible at that price point. And it's pretty well constructed too.

I do have a back-buzz problem though. If I fret the 7th fret on the low E and play the high E string there's a lot of buzzing behind the fretted note. As soon as I put a hand behind the fretted note to dampen the strings it stops though. According to my research this is because the nut hole is cut too deep. Is there any easy fix for this? =)

Oh yeah, and pictures, of course:

Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Easy fix? We used to jam a piece of paper into the slot on an old epiphone, which took care of the problem. Since we didn't care much about tone, just volume, that was enough. You may be able to replace the nut extremely easily - on a lot of classical guitars, the string tension is all that's holding the nut in place. Take the opportunity to put in a bone nut, just for fun, it's an extremely inexpensive and simple upgrade, if the nut isn't glued into place. If it is, it could be a bit trickier....but a decent tech should be able to do the job without much hassle even in that case. Of course, if a new nut doesn't fix the problem, then it's on to other possible problems, for which there are also solutions!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Easy fix? We used to jam a piece of paper into the slot on an old epiphone, which took care of the problem. Since we didn't care much about tone, just volume, that was enough. You may be able to replace the nut extremely easily - on a lot of classical guitars, the string tension is all that's holding the nut in place. Take the opportunity to put in a bone nut, just for fun, it's an extremely inexpensive and simple upgrade, if the nut isn't glued into place. If it is, it could be a bit trickier....but a decent tech should be able to do the job without much hassle even in that case. Of course, if a new nut doesn't fix the problem, then it's on to other possible problems, for which there are also solutions!
Thank you for the response! I figured it would be something like that. Fortunately there's a fairly decent luthier not that far away from me. I'll probably get him to fix it up while I'm getting my future pickups installed into my D-28.

It's a really nice guitar and has great volume/tone. It still baffles me that an all-solid instrument of this quality was obtainable at that low price point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical