The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Venetian = rounded
Florentine = sharp
Thank you - I tripped over my terms there! It's the pointy ones I don't like - the Florentine.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Thank you - I tripped over my terms there! It's the pointy ones I don't like - the Florentine.
Any time (I mix them up myself!)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Playing a cutaway classical after years of classical training was an eye-opener. Playing a narrower, radiused fretboard crossover was another. I am in the process of speccing a short-scale cutaway crossover - and am very excited at the prospect of receiving it.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Playing a cutaway classical after years of classical training was an eye-opener. Playing a narrower, radiused fretboard crossover was another. I am in the process of speccing a short-scale cutaway crossover - and am very excited at the prospect of receiving it.
That is similar to what I am doing: 48 mm neck, 762 mm fingerboard radius, but with a normal length (650 mm) fingerboard. Mine won't arrive until next spring.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am considering upgrading from my current Cordoba C3M and will definitely consider a cutaway.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Any time (I mix them up myself!)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I used to have to look the terms up all the time. Finally, I figured out to remember that Venetian are cutaways that "flow" like the canals of Venice. Memory tricks=I can use all I can find.

Dirk
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM

One thing I am getting from this discussion is that there appear to be more folks using nylon string guitars for music other than classical, and that fits my situation as well. I play 95% fingerstyle instrumental, and while my original lessons (initiated way too late in life) were classical, I play jazz, Celtic, and other genres on my nylon string. I have a traditional Spanish classical, but made with shorter scale, narrower nut, but no cutaway. In terms of access to upper frets I tend to run into that in 3 situations: some modern classical work, jazz, and when using a capo to accompany a singer. Does not happen to me much but seems there are couple of choices which would include standard 12 fret design with cutaway, or a 14 fret crossover model. I have played a number of each variety and I prefer the 12 fret cutaway. I can play in either classical position or "steel string" position, and either way I like the 12 fret design. For me the 14 fret works on steel string, but just can't get used to it on nylon.

The small hand, arthritis situation really makes a difference in what you can do, and I am glad to see more options available now from classical makers. Most of my steel string is done on an 0 size Collings, and if I ever decide on another classical it may have a cutaway or I might opt for a smaller Torres size.

Jon
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM

As someone who dosen't own an acoustic with a cutaway, I definitly wish they were more common. In practice, it doesn't matter much that I can't get that high on the fretboard, I usually don't have to. But I would like the option, so if I do get myself a classical guitar I'll specifically look for one with a cutaway.

Hohner Limited Edition HG 310, nicknamed "Evelyn".
Ibanez IJV50-NT 3U-01 dreadnought, nicknamed "Amber".
Starcaster by Fender strat, nicknamed "Sylvia".
Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM

as a 2nd or 3rd classical guitar than yes for a first no
Old 07-15-2014, 01:14 PM

I built my guitar with a cutaway and wouldn't want it any other way.

My instructor is a very good classical guitarist and can proficiently reach the higher frets - using the standard acrobatics that classical guitarists use to bring their hand up and over the fingerboard.

After using my guitar a few times he sold his and bought one with a cutaway. It makes playing frets 10 to 16 so much easier.

I don't believe there is any difference in sound quality. Just be patient and buy a guitar that sounds good. Leave the ones that don't sound good sitting on the store wall for someone else to buy.

Last edited by GolfSteve; 07-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM

See this seven string guitar with cutway. It was made by Sergio Abreu, a Brazilian luthier from Rio de Janeiro.
The guitar player is Marcelo Kayath during a masterclass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_w6UKh92yg
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Cool Cutaway on classicals...Yea or Nay?

None of my classical guitars have cutaways, but my Martin 000C Nylon hybrid does, and it's my "go-to" guitar. I like the 000 12-fret shape, with or without the cutaway. Variety is the spice of life!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I like the 000 12-fret shape, with or without the cutaway.
Me too, although I prefer it with the cutaway. I like most features of the crossover - the raduised fretboard, the truss-rod, the narrower nut width - but I do not like a 14-fret neck on a nylon string guitar.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM

When I was buying my most recent nylon string guitar I was comparing the cutaway Takamine 132 with one without the cutaway. Comparing them side by side, I did notice that without the cutaway sounds fuller, but only a bit, and the difference is pretty negligible to my ears. In the end, I decided to get the cutaway because I thought it was a small sacrifice for better access to the upper frets. I'm not a traditional classical player, I use my nylon guitar to play jazz, bossa nova, and some Al Di Meola type guitar work.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM

After much searching and thinking I purchased a Cordoba 12 fret Fusion in maple. It is my first classical/crossover guitar, being used to 1 11/16, 3/4 neck steel strings all my life, I feel the cutaway is a great help for me. Outstanding tone, real nice construction, laminated back and sides but so is my Alvarez/Yairi in Koa, another killer tone guitar. Try one, you might just "crossover" to a new world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical