The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm considering a K Yairi CY140, but I have a question

I am considering a K Yairi CY140. The description says it is Brazilian RW. Other specs I find say they are made of jacaranda. I don't really know anything about jacaranda but I suspect that it is not Braz RW, right? Were any CY140 made of Braz? Thank you
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM

I own a 1975 Alvarez Yairi CY-140 (bought it new in 76') and its back and sides are Brazilian laminated. They are not solid but some luthiers prefer laminated and make them with quality woods.
Not familiar with any other types of back/side wood on the 140 but perhaps the newer ones have changed because of the ban--you don't want to cross a border with Brazilian because they will confiscate it. All of the ones I have seen were cedar with Brazilian.
It is a very good guitar.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Jacaranda has been used as a common name for Brazilian Rosewood (See http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...lian-rosewood/) although it is also used as a common name for other species.

Your BRW instrument will not necessary be confiscated on exit or entrance to the US if one can provide documentation that its date of manufacture predates the CITES cutoff date. Search elsewhere on this forum for further information, it has been nearly endlessly discussed.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Cool

Submit your question to user group for YAHOO YAIRI guitars...some expertise over there if you do not get answer here.

I have a CY 140 CE, a rare(er) discontinued model. It is BRAZ veneer.
I love it and it has warm, full sound. Top is red cedar and looks as good as it sounds!

Play in good health!
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM

I have a DY-71 spruce over Koa that sounds just amazing. Solid top, laminated back and sides as are most of the line he designed up to the model 90's and above. BRW or not I would bet it would sound great.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I have it now, It sounds great (at least to the limit of my abilities to make it sound great) It is definitely a "keeper". Thanks for all your comments..
Blessings,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical