The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

This contains, among others, David Grier talking about his history with Clarence White, et al, thanks to the fabulous Bluegrass Jam Along podcast. This is a YouTube audio-only link. You can find the podcast itself in the usual places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6W-rcx-rs
Old 04-13-2024, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
This contains, among others, David Grier talking about his history with Clarence White, et al, thanks to the fabulous Bluegrass Jam Along podcast. This is a YouTube audio-only link. You can find the podcast itself in the usual places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6W-rcx-rs
I have talked to Matt, who does that podcast, and it is awesome.

Here's a short review of seeing David Grier last night. It was a crowd of maybe 40 people at a guitar shop in Raleigh called Harry's Guitar Shop. It was about as laid-back and personal as you could imagine. David was playing a dreadnought made by Pre-War Guitars, and it sounded like one of those vintage Martins. He was playing and singing through a single mic on a small stage, but it sounded perfect. He mostly played instrumentally and talked quite a bit, but he did sing a few songs. Obviously, he is not exactly Tony Rice or Tim O'Brien vocally, but he wasn't terrible, and I will give him props for having the courage to do it after decades of being just a picker. But he's as good a picker as anybody out there, with his crosspicking and absolute precision and incredible creativity and imagination. My highlights were his arrangements of old fiddle tunes like Red-Haired Boy, Angeline the Baker, Blackberry Blossom, and Black Mountain Rag.

David also talked about Clarence White some, and I am glad he's one of the people keeping Clarence's memory alive. I spoke briefly with David, shaking his hand and thanking him for an inspiring performance, and I got out of the way, as there were a bunch of people who wanted to talk to him. It would be nice to sit down with a guy like him with a few drinks and shoot the breeze, but I would have to go to Nashville (where he lives) for that. He is working on a new album and is basically just doing shows and workshops like the one I saw--very low key. But it was awesome if you like guitar geniuses.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:54 AM

I find it a Public Service to let youngsters who think Billy Strings is the greatest guitarist in the World be introduced to Mr. Grier.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
I find it a Public Service to let youngsters who think Billy Strings is the greatest guitarist in the World be introduced to Mr. Grier.
David Grier has 31 years of life on Billy Strings. In another 30 years tell us who plays better with equivalent experience. I'm 100% sure Billy Strings is better than ANYONE 30 years HIS junior right now.

Last edited by Talk2Me; 04-17-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
Billy is great in his own way. He would be the first to tell you he's not on the same level of people like Grier or Chris Thile or Jack Pearson or Bryan Sutton, etc. To be honest, I thought Billy was kind of cheesy until I saw that stuff he did with his dad and learned about him donating all those guitars to his old school. He's a great guy, and he's kind of like Doc Watson if he'd grown up playing metal and eating acid, lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic