The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Guitar dealers on eBay getting around MAP

I hit many of the AFG sponsor websites, LA Guitar & MacNichol in particular; enough to keep me drooling constantly. I've got a long list of guitars to buy if I hit the lottery!

I also come across some of the same sponsors on eBay, which is fine... a bit like coming across someone familiar. No big deal. The fact that I know them puts them a step above the ones on eBay that I don't know; even if I already know what's in their inventory.

I have some automatic searches on eBay that watch out for particular types of guitars I'm interested in that are for sale as used by an owner.

All that said, I'm really burnt out on dealers (none of which are AFG sponsors) that appear to be working the system by taking a new guitar, walking it out the back door, around the parking lot, and in through the front door and then calling it "used" in order to get around manufacturer MAP. It screws up my search alerts, they clutter my manual searches, and the guitars appear to be "new" although the seller disclaims any ability to use their warranty.

What they're really doing is finding the price at which someone will buy a new guitar that has no warranty.

I guess there's no way to report this to eBay. It's just part of the deterioration of the system.

Is this what it appears to be?
Seagull

Last edited by JayMack; 09-08-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack View Post
All that said, I'm really burnt out on dealers (none of which are AFG sponsors) that appear to be working the system by taking a new guitar, walking it out the back door, around the parking lot, and in through the front door and then calling it "used" in order to get around manufacturer MAP. It screws up my search alerts, they clutter my manual searches, and the guitars appear to be "new" although the seller disclaims any ability to use their warranty.

What they're really doing is finding the price at which someone will buy a new guitar that has no warranty.
Sorry, I haven't seen that at all, and I have several sponsors marked as favorites. I do see sellers with used guitars and what appear to be pass-thru (new through refurb houses) or closeouts from the manufacturers.

Romans 5:6-8
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I hit many of the AFG sponsor websites, LA Guitar & MacNichol in particular; enough to keep me drooling constantly. I've got a long list of guitars to buy if I hit the lottery!

I also come across some of the same sponsors on eBay, which is fine... a bit like coming across someone familiar. No big deal. The fact that I know them puts them a step above the one's on eBay that I don't know; even if I already know what's in their inventory.

I have some automatic searches on eBay that watch out for particular types of guitars I'm interested in that are for sale as used by an owner.

I guess there's no way to report this to eBay. It's just part of the deterioration of the system.

this has been going on for quite a while - If it is proved they loose their dealershaip in many cases - but becasue they sell them as used ( no warranty ) the factory will never see the guitar again, at least not for warranty work . their was a situation alot like this where a larger dealer sold Martins to Sams club ( at least thats the way i understand this ) alot of them , they didnt have Martins warranty but came with a secondary companys warranty ( not sure what that details ) Ive seen these a number years ago- so i know Sams club had these .

It does make me wonder about something -does this hurt the original manufacturer -their selling alot of products , their getting the price they want - and they wont have to worry about enforcing a warranty on these items --cant prove it so im no accusing - But their are alot of things in the world you can buy cheaper if you know how to go about doing it -

Im not trying to cause a problem or hurts someones reputation - but times are tough and people are trying to work angles to make a buck -
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Please note that I said:

I'm really burnt out on dealers (none of which are AFG sponsors) that appear to be working the system
Seagull
Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 AM

I think everyone knows our sponsors are awesome!!! But in this economy some people are willing to sacrifice the warrantee for a extra buck or two. It's sad but true.....

Taylor gets the money either way, so not sure if it hurts them at all....but it might hurt the small businesses.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

You know what? I am sick and tired of MAP anyway, not just in the guitar industry either. MSRP does not stand for "Manufacturers Strictly Required Price", it stands for "Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price". <END RANT SORRY>
Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

I had a somewhat similar experience. I bought a guitar that was advertised on the web as used, at a small mom-and-pop shop, and got a good price on it. It had been used, but it turned out that the only guy who ever used it was the dealer himself. It had been in the shop for a couple of years. He had played it at the shop and had even demo-ed it at a couple of coffeehouse type gigs, but never actually bought it for himself or sold it retail. (It had a few pick marks on it and a little glossing on the back of the neck). We worked out a deal and I took the guitar home . . . but I got to thinking. I checked the manufacturer's website. Then I called and pointed out to the dealer that since I was the first actual retail purchaser of the guitar, according to the website I might still be entitled to the factory warranty. He checked it out, and I was, so I sent in the registration card. I think he was a little mad at himself for discounting the guitar as much as he did, but it was shop-worn and he was obviously not able to sell it online at MAP. I was willing to buy the guitar with or without the warranty. The warranty was just a little bonus.

I know one can generally email or call a dealer and get a lower price quoted, but I see some online merchants who advertise brand new guitars at MAP . . . and you can put them in the virtual shopping cart and see the discounted price right away. That seems pretty much the same as advertising at a discount online to begin with. I'm surprised that the manufacturers and other dealers haven't put a stop to that practice.

Last edited by Big.Al; 09-08-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
I am sick and tired of MAP anyway, not just in the guitar industry either. MSRP does not stand for "Manufacturers Strictly Required Price", it stands for "Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price". <END RANT SORRY>
Not the same as MAP, Minimum Advertised Price. Some dealers that use MAP will give a better price if you talk to them, they just can't advertise the lower prices and stay in the manufacturer's good graces.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
I had a somewhat similar experience. I bought a guitar that was advertised on the web as used, at a small mom-and-pop shop, and got a good price on it. It had been used, but it turned out that the only guy who ever used it was the dealer himself. It had been in the shop for a couple of years. He had played it at the shop and had even demo-ed it at a couple of coffeehouse type gigs, but never actually bought it for himself or sold it retail. (It had a few pick marks on it and a little glossing on the back of the neck). We worked out a deal and I took the guitar home . . . but I got to thinking. I checked the manufacturer's website. Then I called and pointed out to the dealer that since I was the first actual retail purchaser of the guitar, according to the website I might still be entitled to the factory warranty. He checked it out, and I was, so I sent in the registration card. I think he was a little mad at himself for discounting the guitar as much as he did, but it was shop-worn and he was obviously not able to sell it online at MAP. I was willing to buy the guitar with or without the warranty. The warranty was just a little bonus.
I know of a dealer that did that as well - they typically sell them at a good price ( because their not perfect- have a few miles on them ) and you can get the warranty - Thats a great way to get a decent price on a close to new guitar- nothing wrong with doing this -wish i could find the Collings i like this way - buy are they sticklers for sticking to the list price or 10 percent off .Wish i could find one for the same percentage off that i did my Martin ! But i'll eventually find what i want at a fair price -takes time but im a patient man !
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I also come across some of the same sponsors on eBay, which is fine... a bit like coming across someone familiar. No big deal. The fact that I know them puts them a step above the ones on eBay that I don't know; even if I already know what's in their inventory.

Yes, this is what it appears to be, and it happens everyday.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Tangentially related, I've always enjoyed the math behind MSRP calculations:

MSRP = (Actual price borne by the market) * 3 + $0.99

This allows for daily blowout sales "up to 99.9% off!!"

I can see your frustration. That does making searches for used guitars kind of a pain.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

...and how about those Santa Cruz dealers selling new guitars on eBay!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Or simply open the box so they can sell it as "open item" or "floor model" below MAP. Happens not only to guitars, but also to pickups, preamps, keyboards, etc.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion