The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 PM

Default I think progress is being made, Avett Partial Cover

I think progress is being made. Ive got a lot of help and encouragement from al the members as I'm new to recording and just started playing guitar again last year.

Got a new mic yesterday so I tried a new setup XY. I like it.

Last week
Guitar d18, Rode NT1A at 12th fret, Shure SM7B w/ windscreen on

Today
00018GE, Rode M5 XY pattern around 12th fret, Shure SM7b w/ windscreen off and pop filter on

Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Nice! I do love that song and your second version is much more soulful. I can't play it fingerstyle but when I saw them last summer, they played this song with all strumming. As a beginner, that's how I play it until I get the skills. I also need to slow down and work on getting more emotion in my singing.

Thanks for sharing!

Your version is far better but here is my recording from a couple months ago.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:43 PM

RedJoker,

first of all thanks for the feedback. Second I liked your cover. Ive never actually heard it strummed so it was nice hearing it. what did you use to record ? Im curious as Im trying a number of different things.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 PM

I used a Behringer C2 condenser mic pointed at the 12th fret and a Samson C1 for singing. Cheap stuff but I, too, am playing around. I just got my den back but it isn't acoustically treated yet.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I used a Behringer C2 condenser mic pointed at the 12th fret and a Samson C1 for singing. Cheap stuff but I, too, am playing around. I just got my den back but it isn't acoustically treated yet.
sounds good though. I need to get some kind of acoustic treatment going on. Its funny how playing around escalates to a bunch of stuff hahahahhaha. i went from a blue yeti usb mic to a whole lot of stuff really quickly.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM

No kidding! I started with a single usb mic but now have a collection of condenser and dynamic mics. Yes, they're all pretty cheap but they're great for experimenting. I'm currently favoring a pair of small condensers (Behringer C2s) in an XY configuration. Its not the best but if you check out the most recent 4 recordings on my SoundCloud, that's what I used for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell