The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
You might want to give the DPA d:vote 4099G Core a try. The microphone is very resistent to feedback and used by a lot of musicians to mic their instruments.

http://https://www.dpamicrophones.co...ent-microphone

Acoustic Guitar Magazine review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpLVCqdxco

Live with a violin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yrj4CG3hF4

And me playing live with the mic, the environment was extremly loud with livr performances goimg on three other stages at the same time: https://youtu.be/PqkkzunNwlw
You make that mic sound great. Lovely playing, Joe! Awesome arrangement as well!
Old 02-16-2021, 04:44 PM

Thought I'd chime in on this resurrected topic as well. My main rig consists of the following:

OPTION ONE:
Guitar: Martin DC-Aura (original; Fishman Aura preamp onboard)

OPTION TWO:
Breedlove Jumbo cedar/rosewood (Baggs Element VTC)
Breedlove Dread spruce/mahogany (Baggs Element VTC)
Guild JF-30 12-string spruce/maple (factory Guild pickup)
Epiphone Frampton Texan (Baggs Element VTC)
Tonedexter preamp/DI

ALL INTO:
Pedal: TC Helicon Play Acoustic w/ Switch 3 or Switch 6
Shure Beta 58A vocal mic
Mackie DL16S Mixer
One or two EV Evolve 50 Line Arrays

The Evolve 50s cover nearly any show, indoor or outdoor, that I play. (I own a small sound company and have access to large PA stuff if I need it — but I usually don't.) All vocal and guitar effects come from the Play Acoustic.

It was good to read how other players handled similar gig situations — this really is a good forum!
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Mine couldn't be simpler.
Custom OM Acoustic with Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend & Shure SM58 direct into my Yamaha Stagepas 1K.
Some reverb on both channels, and I'm done.
Most places I play at I'm at less than 50% on the master volume. I heaps in reserve.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 PM

Default Solo acoustic live sound, what do you guys use?

Mine is fairly simple. At gigs I use both a 6 and 12 string. I have an A/B switch that each is connected to. My mic is a Shure SM 58. Both feed into a TC helicon Voice Live Play acoustic, then into a Fishman SA330X. I use the reverb and chorus as well as the body res eq. I have saved settings for my Martin DC-Aura, D12-28 and McPherson Camrielle. The A/B switches between the 6 and 12 string so I don’t have to plug and unplug.

Works well for me.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
Mine is fairly simple. At gigs I use both a 6 and 12 string. I have an A/B switch that each is connected to. My mic is a Shure SM 58. Both feed into a TC helicon Voice Live Play acoustic, then into a Fishman SA330X. I use the reverb and chorus as well as the body res eq. I have saved settings for my Martin DC-Aura, D12-28 and McPherson Camrielle. The A/B switches between the 6 and 12 string so I don’t have to plug and unplug.

Works well for me.
I have not heard of an A/B switch, and now I need one!!
What are you using!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-17-2021, 01:01 AM

Guitar: Takamine P7DC (and usually one of various backups)

Mic: sure beta 58a (and a 57 with a foam filter as a backup)

Mixer: Yamaha emx 5014c (passive or active speakers depending on gig)

Speakers: various combos of a pair of Yamaha dxr10’s, cbr15’s, and a 12” Behringer powered sub. Generally the dxr’s as if my mixer fails (hasn’t happened yet) I can plug straight In. Sometimes all of it. Depending on the venue/how I feel.

Pedals: tonedexter, moog minifooger delay, mxr sugar drive.

Percussion: Roland Spd one kick, lp foot tambourine (I can’t get the meinl ones to last more than 20 mins). I also carry a spare passive stomp (logjam logarythm 4)

Misc: spare strings,batteries, cables, picks, even a backup of my cheap android tablet (for lyrics) with copies on my phone (and a clip on stand for both). Normally a couple of lights. All in 3 bags. Lights in one, stands in another, everything else in the 3rd.

Sounds elaborate I know, but can be quick and simple if I need it to be. My simplest setup has been 1 guitar, no pedal board, passive stomp, mixer and single cbr15. If something goes wrong with anything, I have it repaired straight away. Do enough gigs and not doing this WILL bite you on the arse.

Steve

Last edited by Steve36; 02-17-2021 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I hate autocorrect
Old 02-17-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I have not heard of an A/B switch, and now I need one!!
What are you using!

I am using a JHS A/B. Compact switch and can be powered by either 9 volt or pedal power. I think I got it at Sweetwater

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification