The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Default Froggy Bottom P-12 – The “P” is for “Phenomenal”

I tend to show up to work a little earlier when we’re expecting a Froggy Bottom to arrive. I mean, how could you not? A throwback to the golden years of lutherie, these modern-day masterpieces are handmade with utmost attention to detail and voiced for supreme responsiveness to all styles of play.

In this particular instance, I received notice that our P-12 was due to arrive the following morning. Just in case there was any speculation to the contrary, yes, we as Wildwoodians get almost as excited when something special arrives as you might be when you make the purchase! I believe the P-12 is the secret weapon of the Froggy Bottom line-up and a “text book” example of why you should never judge said book by its cover.

The P-12s are universally louder and more dynamic than many guitars I’ve played twice their size and yet retain all the benefits of a small bodied 12 fret guitar: That brilliant response to a light touch with a clarity, sustain and a gorgeous bloom in the treble extension. We spec’d Mastergrade Ziricote for the back and sides with an Adirondack spruce top. The latter was essentially a no-brainer – The guys over at Froggy Bottom are complete *wizards* with Adirondack spruce.

Headphones recommended!

Sometimes Adirondack can come off a touch aggressive on the top-end. Certainly it almost always exhibits TONS of headroom, but often at the expense of warmth and sweetness. Across Froggy Bottom’s entire line and regardless of body size, they’re somehow able to balance both power AND nuance in the same Adirondack-clad box.

The “AAAAA” Grade Ziricote back and sides ended up working brilliantly for the goal of curving this guitar towards a more “rosewood-ish” tonal bias with a mid-range clarity that rosewood guitars don’t often exhibit. Of course, it’s impossible to get around stating just how visually STUNNING it is. Froggy Bottom’s wood supply is second to none.

As I auditioned this guitar for our demo, I was struck immediately by how wide the dynamic range is. When played with a light touch, coaxing out a warm round tones was an effortless exercise, and when you lean into it a bit, the flood gates rush open and you’re confronted with a truly awe-inspiring wall of sound.

My takeaway from the experience was that this guitar is the “end game” for parlor sized instruments. There really isn’t a single thing it doesn’t do well. It sings and roars, sparkles and shimmers!

Check out the listing for this guitar on the site here: https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...xe/?cat_id=228

Exceptional Instruments. Exceptional Customers.

Taylor | Martin | Gibson | Froggy Bottom| Pre-Owned Acoustics
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Well said. A P12 changed everything I thought I knew about guitars, from body size to adirondack.

While I no longer own that P12, I do have an L (for luscious) and an H (for Holy Moly!).

That guitar is going to make someone very happy.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Nice playing Brian and well said dneal. Pretty amazing output from such a small parlor. You can hear your voice resonate in the guitar body as you discuss the guitars attributes -- talk about sensitive. I have a K and H covered, but P is looking precious.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-14-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Well said. A P12 changed everything I thought I knew about guitars, from body size to adirondack.

While I no longer own that P12, I do have an L (for luscious) and an H (for Holy Moly!).

That guitar is going to make someone very happy.
Man, no kidding! When I can swing it, I'll have to get one of these for myself. It's really uncommon for me to play a guitar that responds as sweetly to light touch as this one does AND gets suitably assertive and commanding when you lean in a bit.

I haven't had the chance to play an L yet! What woods did you go with?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Nice playing Brian and well said dneal. Pretty amazing output from such a small parlor. You can hear your voice resonate in the guitar body as you discuss the guitars attributes -- talk about sensitive. I have a K and H covered, but P is looking precious.
Paul,

I'd love to hear more about your K and H! What woods did you go with for those?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodGuitars View Post
Paul,

I'd love to hear more about your K and H! What woods did you go with for those?
The K was a custom build using English Walnut/Red Spruce. The H12 was purchased with Bastogne Walnut/Red Spruce. Gorgeous and I can't say enough about the guitars with regard to tone and build quality. Deep, rich, articulate --- well you know. The problem with looking at this sub forum is that there are so many outstanding builders, it makes you want to buy one of each. It's a very dangerous place.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodGuitars View Post
I haven't had the chance to play an L yet! What woods did you go with?
Mahogany and spruce. Here's the NGD thread. There are a couple of mediocre sound clips of the L and H on the second page.

Like the P, the L is a lot of guitar in a little package and has all the Froggy goodness. It's a little more focused than a P (or larger). The H, by comparison, has a lot more natural "reverb" or "surround sound"... if that makes any sense.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
The problem with looking at this sub forum is that there are so many outstanding builders, it makes you want to buy one of each. It's a very dangerous place.
No kidding. The latest ones that had me drooling was the little 0 Bruce Sexauer built, and the Astrand OM (and that OM is drop dead gorgeous).
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
A P12 changed everything I thought I knew about guitars, from body size to adirondack.
This. A fateful trip to Rudy's in SoHo changed my life. I never played a Frog, but was jonesing to. Gordon handed me a P12 adi/braz and I was completely floored. Michael's guitars opened my ears up to what I should expect in a boutique guitar. Even after trying to give myself a two-week cooling off period, I decided to buy the guitar and have ZERO regrets. It has this otherworldly shimmer which is so hard to find in guitars.

I echo the comments mentioned earlier - people saying that adirondack isn't good for fingerstyle - you throw those misconceptions out the door when you pick up a Frog or another top tier builder.

Brian, that sound clip you've made really showcases the magic of the guitar! WOW! Thanks for sharing! Let us know when you're spec-ing out your own Frog!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Brian, that sound clip you've made really showcases the magic of the guitar! WOW! Thanks for sharing! Let us know when you're spec-ing out your own Frog!
Ohhh you know I will!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar!! I got very lucky 2 months ago and picked a used Adirondack/mahogany P-12. Never played a froggy before but I like smaller guitars. I have played lots of high end acoustics before but NEVER played one before with this amount of volume and clarity and dynamic range from a small body guitar. This thing just sings and I love the small form factor. Love it so much trying to decide now which 14 fret cutaway froggy to order for my next froggy! Probably an A-14 or C-14 but still thinking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Beautiful guitar!! I got very lucky 2 months ago and picked a used Adirondack/mahogany P-12. Never played a froggy before but I like smaller guitars. I have played lots of high end acoustics before but NEVER played one before with this amount of volume and clarity and dynamic range from a small body guitar. This thing just sings and I love the small form factor. Love it so much trying to decide now which 14 fret cutaway froggy to order for my next froggy! Probably an A-14 or C-14 but still thinking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Chasapple,

Congrats on the score! The last few P-12s I ordered were Mahogany. I think it really works for this body size and Michael's voicing methodologies. I decided to switch things up a bit with this one. I wasn't expecting to be this blown away. Keep us up to date with the developments on your new one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop