The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 PM

Default What would you do?

<YouTube link removed>

Although removing the link prevents anyone from viewing the youtube, the youtube comments are not suitable for all audiences.

An AGF friendly post would be to describe the situation rather than just post the link.

I've not deleted the thread as the responders appear to have pertinent and appropriate comments.

Thanks all,

Phil

Last edited by riorider; 10-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 AM

I've seen that video and read reports about what happened. Wife and 2 year old baby in the car. Bike rider cuts me off and stops, forcing a small bump. Bikers surround me and open my door. I'm doing the same thing. Gun it and run. I'll gladly donate to the SUV drivers legal fund should he be charged with anything.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 AM

I would wish for three things:
  1. a good, clear video that showed what I did, and did not do, to defend myself and my family
  2. a suitable, legal, powerful means of self defense; in this case it might be best to have more than one clip of ammunition on hand
  3. a group of people with better vocabularies with whom to discuss it afterward; the conversation below the video would not meet AGF standards
cotten
Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 AM

First, locked the doors. Second, called the cops. Third stayed on the highway until I saw a cop car.

And I would have run over any biker that tried to block me in.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 AM

I took out what I said because it was terrible. I'll just say that this is nonsense.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 10-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 PM

If you are in a car with your family (baby daughter) and 20-50 motorcyclists surround you and they slash your tires. What would you do??

Don't tell me you would get out of your car to compromise.

Plus, where were the police?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Anticipation Junkie

This story and footage was covered on the news in my area last evening. Based solely on what I viewed, I'd gun it and run too, while trying to call the police asap.

But what strikes me most is what was NOT shown. Not that there's any justification for the motorcyclist's initial actions (I consider "bikers" as H-D club types, which these riders are not), but I'm curious as to what lead to it in the first place which was not captured on video?

As a rider myself, motorcyclist's gripes over "cager" ignorance and poor driving habits around motorcycles even when non-intentional, is largely well-founded. So, I suspect that for the riders to take such initial action, the driver of the SUV must have previously done something inappropriate, potentially even stupid or dangerous to one or more riders. Of course, it is also possible that there were a few thug riders that initiated a problem.

Once the SUV driver reacted, the whole situation got out-of-hand and regardless of the backstory, the riders were clearly in the wrong.

Just reported in the news this morning, one of the riders turned himself in to police today.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM

From what I watched, it certainly looked like the group of motorcyclists were acting illegally to begin with....Riding in a large group all over the highway instead of staying in proper lanes in a somewhat-organized manner.

As to what precipitated the one rider's obvious dangerous action in the video we are not shown. Did the driver of the SUV do something prior?

At any rate, surrounded by a large group of potentially (and later, actually....) aggressive people... I too would have "got out of Dodge", stayed on a major roadway, and called police or the highway patrol for assistance.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM

There's a 6 min video on YouTube that shows in the first 30 seconds, or so, where the bikes are riding along with the SUV. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. You can see the SUV driver's arm in the closed window. It's not moving, as in gesturing somehow. And then you see the first bike pull in front and slow down and get bumped.

We still don't know what happened prior to those 30 seconds.

If the SUV did something accidental, previous to those 30 seconds, then the biker cutting off the SUV, and getting bumped, is responsible for everything that happens next. There's no excuse for cutting in front of somebody like that no matter what happened, as long as it was accidental. People do stupid stuff on the road all the time and it's typically from inattention or ignorance.

Even if the SUV did something to the bikers on purpose, all it would take would be a 911 call and continue to follow the SUV until the police can catch up to you. And if you have it, show the video to prove your case. Let cooler heads prevail.

If the bikers want the public on their side in all this, they'd better show what happened to cause the bikers to feel they needed to defend themselves, even though they clearly outnumbered the people in the SUV.

This isn't video from some innocent bystander, this is video shot from a helmet camera of one of the bikers who was also the first one to give chase when the SUV ran over the other bikes and took off. So who put the video out there? I don't think anyone would be out of line to assume it was the bikers that posted the video. If that's the case, then what was the purpose of posting the video? Wouldn't it also be safe to assume it was to show how some drivers disregard motorcycles? And if that were the case, then the bikers should show what happened leading up to those first 30 seconds in the video.

However, since there is no mention of a rider being hurt BEFORE the SUV ran over anybody/anything, then the only thing you can surmise out of this whole ordeal is that the bikers either initiated the whole thing or grossly overreacted to whatever the SUV driver may have done, resulting in the felonious assault seen at the end of the video.

I can't see any logic behind supporting the bikers given what the 6 min video shows.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

A follow-up news report states that the bike group is known as "The Hollywood Stunts" and have posted videos in the past of similar swarming and attacks. Therefore, I say in this case they likely got what was coming to them.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 PM

I read that one of the riders that was run over when the SUV tried to "escape" is now paralyzed and in a coma. The guy's sister said she doesn't condone the violence, saying "there's no need for it", but she was glad they chased down the SUV.

The guy who pulled in front of the SUV and got bumped is charged with "reckless endangerment, reckless driving and endangering the welfare of a child".

So, if the police charge the biker that seemed to start everything, then you have to believe the SUV driver started fearing for his safety when he got surrounded, possibly making his actions justified. That argument is somewhat backed up, at the moment, with the fact that the SUV driver has not been charged with anything. At least not yet.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM

I would wish that I was driving my old, beatup, HUGE Suburban and lived or was visiting an area where I was legally carrying.

First off, the guys on their shiny new rice-rockets would've stayed away from it entirely, unlike the "pretty" SUV the family guy was in. They'd have known someone driving something looking like my old beast wouldn't care about a few more scratches and/or blood stains.

Then IF they persued the behavior they followed up with, a introductory course to "The Introduction Of Sustained Small Arms Fire" would have made them re-think or stop thinking.

I have NO use for "Hollywood Stunts" ilk of that kind, who are basically anarchists and public terrorists. They are a notch below the pinheads in SF,s "Critical Mass" on their bicycles on the last Friday of the month. They get justifiably run over once in a while, too.

Argggghhh!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Musical minimalist

I saw this on Facebook earlier -

I would have done what I always have done - avoid the situation completely.

If I'd come onto a roadway like that and into the midst of 100 bikers, I would have simply slowed down with my right blinker on, pulled off to the side and let them go on their "merry" way before there was any chance of interaction. I've done this several times on the interstate when taking my mountain vacations.

Let them go....

Last edited by fitness1; 10-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM

From what I've read lately, seems like the lawyers are going to have a field day.
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM

Choot 'em!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic