The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM

i have a taylor and i find elixer strings to be to bright for a already bright guitar. i prefer coated d'adario lights
Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 AM

A few months ago i got yamaha LX6A... i've been cursing all the time what a crappy sound it has. but - it comes from manufacture with these strings:

YAMAHA FS50BT. man, avoid these strings!!!

they have some anti-rust coat, one would say great... are three times expensive than basic d'ddarios... i haven't played the guitar much but now i've just strung the guitar with Daddario 11s 85/15 and it turned into a completely new instrument! much brighter sound has the guitar now. With those yamaha strings the sound was so dull that i couldn't believe that this guitar can be so bad for the money. I wouldn't have believed what change of sound strings can cause...
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 AM

for pb's i use adamas strings

for coated, martin lifespan

for 80/20, i like ernieball earthwoods

silk and steel: martin marquis

Currenty i have these strings on these guitars:

Martin M36: Adamas Phosphor Bronze(clarity)
GS mini: Martin Lifespan Pb(a bit more bass and clarity than elixirs)
G&L Legacy: daddario xl.(mellow strings)
G&L Will Ray ASAT: GHS Boomers.(bright strings)
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM

PBs. Currently using GHS, since they still individually package the strings.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

I use phosphor bronze strings, I like Martin strings and I think Martin SP or Flexible Core medium gauge strings sound best on my HD28V. Recently I have tried Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze light gauge (12 - 52) and think they sound terrific on my 000-18. I know that nobody ever mentions Gibson strings here, but I think these are great.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM

been using D'Addario EJ16 Light on my Taks...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Well I've pretty much given up on Elixer strings ( PB Nano's ). I have tried 'em on all of my git's. They always seemed a bit lacking in bass, I find them a bit 'rattle-y' too..
They do, however, last forever..... So all the Elixer strings I have are now on my 'beater/campfire' guitars....perfect for those as I can prob leave them on there for ....oh a year....or so..... and they don't go all 'dead' sounding!!

On my guitars that I either perform or record with I stick with PB's ( non-coated ). I always seem to gravitate back to EJ16's .... they just plain sound good and for me at least they last a good while.
I really like John Pearse PB's on my 'bird but alas.... they do die off a little quick.

I have tried Martin SP's and they just sounded like a week-old set of strings to me.... Single note passes etc seem ok but chords just lost any sense of chordal 'lushness'.

I have tried DR Sunbeams...they were nice sounding but just didn't do it for me...cant really explain why......?

PS....I have tried 80/20's from a few mfg's and have been disappointed every single time..... thin and yucky IMO.

Gibson PB's I have yet to try......maybe next.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Default What strings Do You Use?

All of them...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM

D'addario EPN22 Pure Nickel
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...9&productid=68
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM

D'addario phospher-bronze lights (EJ16).

I've mucked about with strings a lot through the years. I've concluded that the subtle differences that exist between them matter less than knowing what to expect when I slap on a new set. These EJ16s I'm happiest with in that regard - consistency.

They sound sharp (too bright) for a day or so. Their window of best use is from 3 days on until dullness sets in - about two weeks later, if I keep my hands reasonably clean...

All depends, though: gigging in humid environments changes the equation - shortens life. But that would be true with all strings. I've been known to have to change strings between sets because it was so hot and humid.

Being familiar with the strings I use and how they behave removes a variable. I play to them and plan with them.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainDearg View Post
D'addario phospher-bronze lights (EJ16).

I've mucked about with strings a lot through the years. I've concluded that the subtle differences that exist between them matter less than knowing what to expect when I slap on a new set. These EJ16s I'm happiest with in that regard - consistency.

They sound sharp (too bright) for a day or so. Their window of best use is from 3 days on until dullness sets in - about two weeks later, if I keep my hands reasonably clean...

All depends, though: gigging in humid environments changes the equation - shortens life. But that would be true with all strings. I've been known to have to change strings between sets because it was so hot and humid.

Being familiar with the strings I use and how they behave removes a variable. I play to them and plan with them.
Russ on this forum recommended the Rohrbacher Titanium strings for hot and humid weather. He said they last for almost a year and he lives in the Pacific
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM

JP 700M's at the moment. These are PB's and are doing just fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Bulk.
It's all personal preference and guages are more important than branding.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

I very much dislike coated Elixers because they feel very slick, almost greasy, to me (I'm not sure yet whether its the nanoweb, polyweb, or both). My fingers slip right off them.

I am content with D'Addario strings. But out of curiosity, I've bought seven or eight sets that I look forward to experimenting with. These include PBs, 80/20s, flat wounds, and S&S by various makers. First, though, I have to install a bone saddle and make sure that I understand it first.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 PM

The original question was "What strings do you use?" Since then every string ever manufactured has been listed at least once.

Where do we go from here?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion