The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
One thing to consider in this comparison is the top wood. The Yamaha's use Engleman Spruce where the the Eastman is Sitka.
That's true but I stand on what I said about Yammy's being heavier built. Don't get me wrong, Yamaha's are great workhorses with above average tone - especially the 16 line. My AC522 is Englemann and it is incredibly powerful and toneful. Easily 20-25% louder than a comparable Taylor and far louder than the Yamaha all-solid dread - the LL16.

That doesn't mean the tone is better. For me it is, but as you know, different people have different tonal preferences. Of course the comparison to my AC522 is a bit unfair too, as it has a street price of 1100-1200.

There are a lot of good options out there in the 1k range. That's good for everybody.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 09-07-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
That's true but I stand on what I said about Yammy's being heavier built. Don't get me wrong, Yamaha's are great workhorses with above average tone - especially the 16 line. My AC522 is Englemann and it is incredibly powerful and toneful. Easily 20-25% louder than a comparable Taylor and far louder than the Yamaha all-solid dread - the LL16.

That doesn't mean the tone is better. For me it is, but as you know, different people have different tonal preferences. Of course the comparison to my AC522 is a bit unfair too, as it has a street price of 1100-1200.

There are a lot of good options out there in the 1k range. That's goof for everybody.

Also very true. Tapered vs. scalloped bracing. I also agree the Yamaha's are a heavier build. But like you said, they are going for different tone.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM

I have a LL 16 I like to play and sing with it.My E 10D is a lot louder but I feel like my voice gets drowned out.If I had a stronger voice it might be different.I bet the Larivee sounds real nice.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM

The one thing that you will not notice that happens with a new LL16 that you don't see a lot of mention of is that do have a break in period even though they are built with ARE technology. I was a tad bit disheartened with mine after the first several days of hard play when all of a sudden she opened up big time.

Don't get me wrong. It sounded nice. Down right good, but when this took place it went from from a guitar that simply sounded good to one that move ya every time you played it.

Your choice of the LL16 is a fine one.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCambo View Post
I have to agree with the others...

A Larrivee L03 will blow the pants off the Yamaha, of course, that's subjective but nevertheless, my opinion.

I've always felt the Yamaha LL16's and LL6's line sounded as if it was holding back something. Good guitars, but no Larrivee.
Exactly, Yamahas are very good guitars,
but a Larrivee is in another league.
Save your money and you wont need another guitar for a long while.
dave
Old 09-08-2015, 01:43 AM

Larrivee D-03 is around £1100 in the UK whereas a Yamaha LL16 can be had for £600.

That's a big price difference!
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-08-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkemusic View Post
I have been looking for some video comparing these two instruments on the tube, with no success....in the end I bought both of them along with time due to specific musical needs....it seems like I am not the only one who wonders what's the sonic difference between the ll6 and the ll16....so I made a review about it...even if it's an old thread I thought I would share...down here the link of the vid...hope you find it useful

https://youtu.be/uTVhBnK2LrE

Ciao, mekke
Great vid Mekke, thought both guitars sounded comparable up until you played fantastic Led Zepp 'Ramble On' intro where I think the 16 edged it, nice chops by the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion