The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Brand preference by genre.

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that the majority of country music artists use Takamine guitars. Bluegrass = Martin. Rock = Taylor.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM

I think Bluegrass is almost 100% Martin & Blueridge.

A lot of country guys play Takamine but I think b/c of the durability of the road. Did Garth Brooks start that trend or was there plenty before him playing them?

Seems to me that Taylor is all over the map. Many different genres.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM

I dunno, I know Garth did play Taks. Whenever I see someone play, either live or video, the 1st thing I do is try to ID the guitars. I'd say I probablt see more Taks than anything. Saw the Swon Brothers last weekend and they were playing a Tak. Just got me thinking. I know Taks are good. But would consider Martin better. I wondered why people who can afford to, don't go with the best?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Speculation alert:
Martin/Blueridge=Traditional tone from scalloped braces
Takamine=good electronics and level out the trebles found in tele tones(some country,not a rule though.)
Taylor=Brings out the acoustic into the mix,so it doesn't get lost amidst the overdrive.
Bottom line is basically tradition on the Martin/Blueridge scale,marketing and artist endorsements on the Takemine and Taylor spectrum.Sometimes a certain brand just works better for a certain style/band.
Most bands these days are only around for 2 albums if their lucky,if you had the choice to get an endorsement and make some money knowing you might get dropped at any time you will try to make as much money as you can.
Others just play what they want=feels good man
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM

From what I've learning about ghost building within the past year or so, I don't trust headstock labels much anymore...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion