The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 AM

Default More heresy, that seems to work

Hide Glue:

Due to time constraints and a dozen different aspects of a half dozen different projects that are ongoing, I forgot about a half pint of hide glue I had sitting in warm water to be ready for use on a project I temporarily abandoned. That was 3 weeks ago, the pot long turned off.

I needed hide glue on Monday to re-top a project and 'discovered' the bottle and the glue had, naturally, solidified.

Instead of making a new batch, I poured boiling water into the ceramic pot the bottled glue sat in, and waited to see if it would liquefy. It did, it felt just a adhesive as before.

Since then I have not bothered to put the unused portion in the freezer, or in any other way preserve it. Anytime I need it. I just pour near boiling water on the bottle and it liquefies, ready to be used, in minutes, to no apparent ill effect. Seems just as strong as originally prepared.

Everything I've seen on hide glue not being frozen says it will get moldy or deteriorate. I've not seen that be the case.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM

I have some hide glue in a small glass sitting on my counter for the past three months (not even trying to think what this means about me) and it looks the same as when it solidified.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM

As long as it is not molded or turned dark, I reuse it as you indicated.
I have been using HHG for about 20 years, and I have never refrigerated or frozen it. I suppose it has molded a couple of times, but it's not a big issue.....I just clean it out and mix up some more. I do turn the pot on at least three times a week, typically.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair